46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 August 2015 CE
Aug 30, 2015, 01:35
Some rock this week:

Yes: Close to the edge....
Still great after all these years on the original LP i have owned since the mid 70's.

Something of a surprise too:
Dueling Banjo's: Theme from the movie Deliverence QCA records #304 recorded 1973
Featuring Rusty York and Lonnie Mack.....yes Lonnie Mack! Never even knew he did this record. All bluegrass and pretty great too.

Ravi Shankar: The sounds of India
Columbia WL 119 1950's?
Pretty good early Ravi Ragas... Instructional too. Ravi explains the music time signatures prior to each piece.

Leopold Stowkowski: Schoenburg's transfigured night and Loeffler's A pagan dream Seraphim S-60080
Schoenburgs transfigured night was pretty much bland romantic
Loeffler's A pagan dream was a bit better....
Both are tone poems

Issac Albeniz: Iberia and Turina Columbia M2L 268 and London 410 289-1 respectively also featuring Manuel de Falla's Nights in the garden of Spain
Alicia De Larrocha It is hard to imagine these pieces played any better.
Alicia De Larrocha is now my favorite pianist{this week}

Chopin recital Columbia ML 4721
Sonata#3 B minor,Barcarolle F sharp major,Nocturne#8 D flat major, Mazurka#32 C sharp minor
Dinu Lipatti
Very good performances yet flawed by recording sounding like the microphone was in the coat room instead of over the piano.

David Oistrakh: Columbia ML 5085
Mendelssohn Violin concerto and Mozart concerto #4
Excellent performances.

Got to listen to these records through 2 Altec Lansing Bolero 890c series speakers i aquired at an estate sale this week....perfect condition and awe inspiring sound quality.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index