17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 01 August 2015 CE
Aug 04, 2015, 11:11
Cold Sun Dark Shadows
The World iN Sound official release of a set that had sat unreleased for a couple of decades then been in grey area and incomplete. This even adds some live material to that which was in circulation before.
Very lysergic droning rock with great psychedelic guitar and autoharp also pretty prominent. Billy Miller sings aseries of semi decipherable lyrics over the top. I find it very reminiscent of both the Fall and Television and possibly other post-punk bands. Could be teh element of dissonance or possibly the fact that they were consciously influenced by the Velvet Underground which makes them some of the first to be so, can only think of the original incarnation of the Modern lovers as possibly earlier. Though Hackamore brick do get comparisons to VU too.
Anyway love this and I think more people should be aware of it.

Blackfeather At The Mountains of Madness
Finally got hold of the Aztec version and i think it is an improvement in sound on the Akarma. This is the first official reissue and presumably the first widelyu released remaster from tapes. IT was held up for a while by the guitarist refusing permission and then i think the label went into limbo fora while. Glad to see this is widely available now.
Heavy hard psych stuff with great guitar. Influennces from people like Cream, possibly Sabbath, and oddly Ennio Morricone. In fact one of the tracks on this album has its title wrong since the guitarist thought that the Man with NO Name was also known as Mango not Manco. The suite here Thew Rat was initially written musically about the Rod Steiger character from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly but the singer wasn't aware and wrote the lyrics about something different.
This lp ha made he Flashback! list of 50 great antipodean records from the late 60s/early 70s. So I'd rush out and buy both if I was you.

Last Exit Iron Path
the sole studio lp by the freejazzrock supergroup, this has recently been reissued by ESP-Disk. It is very visceral in a lot of places and quite poetic in others while remaining instrumental throughout. Do wish it had linernotes though.

The Coloured Balls Ball power
More early 70s Aussie heavyness this is more r'n'b related and Coloured balls were one of the main bands associated with the Australian mod offshoot the Sharpies. Guitarist Lobby LLoyd shines throughout.
Another Aztec release so sound is great as are bonuses including the 16 minute GOD from the Sunbury Festival.

watching
Supernatural
brother/buddy road series about the sons of a Hunter who used to dispose of superantural beings as they take over the job from him. Can be good. Interesting enough to have me about to finish the 3rd season.

Fringe
The quirky sci fi thing that was pretty good for 4 seasons and not so god but still interesting for a 5th. I stopped watching about half way through the 3rd season when it was current. I've now gone back and watched from the beginning of that season, through the next 2 gone back to the beginning again and need to start season 2.

Mr Robot
Interesting thing about a computer hacker whose grasp on reality may not be total. So people have speculated about the actual existence of some of the supporting characters.
This is current with the 7th episode being on this week.

reading
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
the story of Thomas cromwell the advisor to Henry VIII. Some really nice writing in here. Stuff to actually relish.

The March of Literature by Ford Madddox Ford
A history of literature from ancient times onwards in about 800 pages.
Have had this outof the library before and not got very far with it, I'm now about 200 pages into it and in Ancient Rome. Quite enjoying it.
Must read more maddox Ford.

The Day Of The Peacock
V&A museum tie in history of men's fashion from 1963 to 1973. Some very nice stuff in here/
I need to read Boutique London which covers some of the same area.

Flashback! #7
Another great instalment in the psych/prog magazine. I just wish it didn't cost as much to get hold of since the contents are really great.
& if you like that you'll probably need
Ugly Things #39
which is also great.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index