Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
May 08, 2017, 20:43
Loads of Jandek. I know a couple of his recent-ish collaborators, but never really quite got what the bloke was up to. 'Visceral' doesn't really do the dude justice. 'Bloody-minded' and 'insane' come to mind, but these are familiar sobriquets to me, so this can only be a positive in my book. Btw, I'm hosting the 'Freak Roots' event in Hebden Bridge's Shoulder of Mutton [how charmingly rural] this Saturday, so by all means come along and say hello/goodbye. Should be a good evening, and its relevance to 'folk music' will be tangential at least, so if you're in the vicinity, come and enjoy the fun.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 08, 2017, 20:56
All their albums are pretty good (and they did some great b-sides), including the reformation one. I'd recommend In The Flat Field especially.

Actually if you're not sure, get the Crackle compilation and take it from there.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

May 08, 2017, 22:36
thesweetcheat wrote:
All their albums are pretty good (and they did some great b-sides), including the reformation one. I'd recommend In The Flat Field especially.

Actually if you're not sure, get the Crackle compilation and take it from there.

Haven't heard much about Mr Murphy and/or crew since his crystal meth arrest a few years ago. Owt going on? Really liked 'em back in the days when they were considered (cough) 'futurists', at least according to my then friend who promptly proceeded to steal my CB Radio mic. Yes folks, it was that long ago.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 09, 2017, 06:40
Not heard anything for ages either. The reformation album Go Away White mist be 10 years ago now.
Kid Calamity
9041 posts

May 09, 2017, 09:34
The live album 'Press The Eject...' was pretty good, IMO.
Wiggy
1696 posts

May 11, 2017, 17:49
This is interesting.
ASDA (on the FuckPunk label) are making a few waves here in Bristol.
Have a listen;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUx79vWOzC0
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 11, 2017, 22:52
Just heard Toad, Swiss proto heaviness from days of yore and "Sea Shanties" by High Tide from 1969, again v early low end riffage (featuring Simon House on violin, who later played on and off with Hawkwind over several years)

Love em both!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 13, 2017, 08:54
Most of Toad are the backing band on Cottonwood Hill by Brainticket. Their own stuff is quality dunt too.

High Tide are the connecting point between The Misunderstood and Hawkwind. Tony Hill was in the first UK lineup of the Misunderstood which is pretty essential listening. & Simon House went on to Hawkwind.
Do wish there was more HT around from the Sea Shanties era. A live set would be a godsend.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

May 13, 2017, 11:11
A cheapo comp called Dub Chill Out..absolutely top selection of mindfucking cuts for a pittance. Check out Amazon reviews. Totally recommended.
petemcfc
119 posts

May 13, 2017, 15:15
Faust-Fresh Air.
Mind melting.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index