Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Mar 22, 2016, 20:40
Currently getting a lot out of Heron Oblivion's eponymous debut album. Listened to the odd song as flagged up by Stevo, but the album really stands up and lives up to its' parts.

Mono/Poly - Golden Skies. Album from a couple of years ago. Discovered them today after catching up with Saul Williams' 6 music playlist from Sunday. Think Holy Fuck and SBTRKT, stir it round for a few minutes and it is good to go
charlbury
81 posts

Mar 23, 2016, 10:25
MantraMouth wrote:
I didn't even know Waters had a new single, will have to check that out.

I recently came across Manuel Gottsching's 'Inventions For Electric Guitar' and though for me it was not as exciting as the earlier Ash Ra Tempel material, I noticed two of my kids having a big reaction! My daughters either ignored it or asked when it would be over but my two sons were enthralled. The youngest starred at it intensely and started almost conducting and my older son broke into a half flower child hippie half raver dance, it was interesting to see the almost compulsive reactions they had!!

The later Gottsching stuff - from 'Inventions' on - has the most amazing trance-like effect on my baby daughter. New Age Of Earth seemed to be the only thing that would pacify her when a couple of weeks old. It's encouraged me to experiment with electronic Kraut on her ever since...
MantraMouth
112 posts

Mar 23, 2016, 16:34
charlbury wrote:
MantraMouth wrote:
I didn't even know Waters had a new single, will have to check that out.

I recently came across Manuel Gottsching's 'Inventions For Electric Guitar' and though for me it was not as exciting as the earlier Ash Ra Tempel material, I noticed two of my kids having a big reaction! My daughters either ignored it or asked when it would be over but my two sons were enthralled. The youngest starred at it intensely and started almost conducting and my older son broke into a half flower child hippie half raver dance, it was interesting to see the almost compulsive reactions they had!!

The later Gottsching stuff - from 'Inventions' on - has the most amazing trance-like effect on my baby daughter. New Age Of Earth seemed to be the only thing that would pacify her when a couple of weeks old. It's encouraged me to experiment with electronic Kraut on her ever since...

That's fascinating, especially that we both witnessed this phenomenon. After my father passed I was looking through old notebooks and saw some casual notes documenting a few musical experiments he was doing on me as a toddler, I wish he would have known Ash Ra so I could have had that bouncing around my little brain.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2016, 12:48
Mar 27, 2016, 12:44
Edward Penfold. Was listening to Tom Robinson last night (Beardyman and the dream team were doing astounding live improvs) when a track came on. I was quite excited because I couldn't work out if it was a lost Pink Floyd or Syd Barrett song that I never heard and was being released. Turns out it was by Edward Penfold. I've just noticed he's recently done a Mark Riley session too (24th March - although the set has not separated from the show yet so I wont put a link up).

Anyway the only thing that's on Youtube is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f26DZgwLPpQ

*Edit* Might be a tad trite to make that well worn comparison, but is voice is uncannily like Syd's for a start.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 19, 2016, 19:58
Six by Seven - The Things we Make. Moody Indy Rock, but good moody indy rock which is unusual. Can't remember what prompted me to finally seek them out... probably somebody's soundtracks post.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 21, 2016, 13:50
Just been discovering 23 Skidoo's Seven Songs. Percussion led groovy songs from the early 80's that must have influenced the likes of The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays? Very pleased with this discovery
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

May 21, 2016, 16:13
For me it's the (English) Kaleidoscope's two albums and attendant singles, collected on a fabulous two CD set on Grapefruit that my mate drew my attention to a few months back. Wonderful stuff, the essence of late 60's baroque psychedelia: equal parts 'Odessey & Oracle', 'Forever Changes' and 'Piper at the Gates' but with a unique slant all of the band's own. I regret the lost decades that I could've been grooving to this wondrous music.

If you know them, hopefully you'll know what I mean. If you don't, for goodness' sake put that right soon. Then buy my mate a drink!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 21, 2016, 17:35
Just been youtubing skychildren. Enough about it for me to want to hear more
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 31, 2016, 21:18
The Comet is Coming "Channeling the Spirits"

3 piece synths, drums and sax (with Melt Yourself Down connections) delivering a blistering electro space rock jazz blast that's mind manglingly good!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 31, 2016, 23:37
Yes! I've finally got round to ordering the first MYD album too. The Comet is Coming made it onto my Spotify My Music list/catalogue some months ago. I am not getting the same reaction with the latest MYD, mind.

My latest thing is Francis Bebey - Psychedelic Sanza. Exotic African Jazz with a hint of gamalan. Recommended by another recent find of mine in an interview with Tom Ravenscroft - Flamingods. And funnily enough, they also recommended TCIC. Mornington Crescent.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index