Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Oct 03, 2015, 17:40
The Butthole Surfers - Rembrandt Pussyhorse. Heard a track played by Marc Riley and thought I'd investigate. My first proper exposure to them. I think I'd been put off them by someone that associated them with difficult listening - must have been on another album. Obviously it is not easy listening, with somewhat of an edge to their sound - but not impossible to penetrate either.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Oct 03, 2015, 19:39
That's deffo the best Buttholes album for me. Though many moons ago as a dainty 18 year old, way back in 1987, I did find it hard going in parts. There is definitely an unsettling vibe to some of the tracks (I'm thinking 'Sea Ferring', Creep In The Cellar' and 'Whirling Hall Of Knives'). For me, in many ways it's their most 'serious' album, in that they eshew the usual larky/ jokey/ potty humour for some real dark psych atmospheres and lyrics. Of course, the humour was picked up again on Locust Abortion Technition (another great album) and albums beyond. Great live act too, was always a blast with Gibby setting fire to himself and various sundry equipment, flour, beans and other 'substances' thrown around, and that damn bull horn shreaking into the mic. Good Times!

Funnily enough, I was listening to 'Piouhged' this afternoon, never my fav' record by them, but 'Blindman' is a stone cold killer slab of Butthols nosie.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2015, 06:44
Oct 04, 2015, 06:44
Destruction Unit, an outstanding psych punk band.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Nov 20, 2015, 19:30
Nov 20, 2015, 19:26
I am working my way through Kurt Stenzel's excellent Jodorowsky's Dune Original Soundtrack - all 75 minutes of it. Seems like essential listening - great sounding 70's German electronica. Reminds me a bit of the Popol Vuh soundtrack to Aguirre - Wrath of God
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Nov 21, 2015, 00:56
Been delving into early AC/DC ,
sparked by the original Aussie
High Voltage album .
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 21, 2015, 11:28
That was actually the first album I ever brought. Rock 'n' Roll and bagpipes, great mix!
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Edited Nov 21, 2015, 11:45
Nov 21, 2015, 11:44
The Necks newie, Vertigo. I'd read Richard William's Blue Moment review indicating what a contrast it was with its truly sublime predecessor, Open, and knew that it was a new discordant path. Sweetcheat's praise for it on the last SOOL helped lessen any hesitancy on purchasing, and I've now heard it on Youtube, where someone has uploaded it. No beats, lots of clattering, random piano tinkling, Hammond throb and sonic anarchy, but right up my street at the moment. Buying. They shall have my money gladly.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 16, 2016, 19:08
Barry Adamson - Oedipus Schmoedipus. Hard not to like the guy with the bands he has worked with. Heard a song played by Gideon Coe (I think he has a new album out), which led me to discover this little beauty.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2016, 03:32
Feb 17, 2016, 03:30
Judy Garland-Live at Carnegie Hall 1961

Lee Scratch Perry-Arkology
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2016, 12:31
Feb 17, 2016, 12:06
Count Ossie & The Mystic Roots of Rastafari - The Spiritual Roots of Reggae ........ I am stunned by this...visualising other artists extrapolating on the granite beats that are at the basis of this music. Jah Wobble tackling Narration's one of those occasion when your brain keeps on chewing over a piece of music wonder where you could take it. In this case a good place. This body of wonderful music is meant. It is old. It is now.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index