Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 05, 2015, 13:41
Technique got its pips yesterday after another listen. Power, corruption and Lies is next port of call. Loved the late 80's dancey production on Technique, and little bass lines reminding me of other things. Just Like Heaven (2nd song) and a later Hooky project Monaco's What do you want with me? About the right length for an album too - keeps you wanting more and doesn't overstay its welcome
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 13:42
Gives me a few suggestions
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 14:49
Various albums by Steffen Basho-Junghans. Ambient guitar that I have on around the house, bit like Eno's piano. Kind of similar to my German friends front porch guitar doodling that they keep up for hours on end.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 15:06
Yeah, have enjoyed the Lonelady stuff a great deal (think she was at the Wire gig in Manc, but I didn't wanna bug her). For some reason, parts of the sound remind me of Prince circa Purple Rain/1999. Dunno why, but one of the tracks (forget which off the top of my head) reminds me of that Darling Nicky cheesefest off PR.

As to the original post, Feeling a bit jaded/meh! music-wise at the minute. Not much has really caught my attention this year (though that's probably me tbh) though I do have a pile of newbie stuff I've picked up which I've yet to plough through (new Gnod, People of The North, Guapo, BJM, Unkown Mortal Orchestra, Squarepusher etc...). Will reprt back on them when me mojo rises a little.

Though having said that, Have re-discovered the delights of the prog/post rock monster that is 'Five Suns'. Don't hink they ever bested this release tbh, it's relentless, though for maximum results, yu gotta imbibe it in it's entirety in a single sitting.

Taster - III - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGU5oSo0RY
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 19:01
this getting a remastered reissue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nt7rOHA5c
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 19:09
laresident wrote:
Various albums by Steffen Basho-Junghans. Ambient guitar that I have on around the house, bit like Eno's piano. Kind of similar to my German friends front porch guitar doodling that they keep up for hours on end.

just you tubed him, really nice would you recommend any LPS in particular
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 22:15
Luminous Bodies at Raw Power were an explosion of party poppers in an acid factory.

The new Blown Out album is heavier than a black hole.

The Yes box set Progeny is like a time machine that transports you to the front row of 7 gigs of a band on fire at the peak of their powers.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 01:02
The first one, from 2000 I think, is not a bad place to start.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 06, 2015, 07:45
thanks ,I'll check it out. surprised I've missed him as he seems to be part of the Jack Rose/James Blackshaw set.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2015, 15:29
Jun 06, 2015, 11:26
Unexpectedly the three disc reissue of Trilogy has given a whole new lease of life to a record I never liked much at the time. That said the debut is still the only album of theirs that I consider essential.

The Progeny box is absolutely wonderful. The mud and fog of the original Yessongs release actually gave their music a mysterious weight, a bit like a pre stereo recording of a symphony orchestra, where you could not always be sure which sound was coming from where in the band. Progeny separates the instruments bringing air and space where there was previously none. I like both approaches. Progeny sounds like hearing a great band from a great seat playing through a great PA. Yessongs sounds more mysterious, like a musical representation of the obelisk at the start of 2001.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index