The Pretty Things

2 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: The Pretty Things
Apr 21, 2015, 09:32
Yeah pretty comprehensive. It has all the studio lps and mo0st if not all the 60s live recordings that have circulated for years as bootlegs.
Also has a dvd that I'm not fully sure of the content of. I had a bootleg compilation of their video material that I grabbed back around 2007/08 that was very good. Could be that most of that is on here too. Several of the early bits had been on enhanced cds before I think too.

I've loved the band since hearing the 70s 2lp compilation The Vintage Years round at a friend's place when I was in my early teens. We were going through a mod stage at the time, around 80 or '81.
They went through a number of different somewhat interrelated styles through the 60s. I guess it is just development as well as influences coming in from line-up changes.
I initially liked the dirty r'n'b stuff they did early on but love the next couple of lps Get The Picture and Emotions which capture the feel of the Swinging 60s while remaining a bit more multidimensional. Emotions wound up swamped in overdubbed horns and strings that the band weren't overly happy about but the material remains strong. S.F.Sorrow is widely thought of as a classic and cited as the first Rock Opera/Concept lp but the tracks do stand by themselves.
& 1970's Parachute is really something else too. Not that strong on them after that.

BUt yeah one of the better UK 60s bands. & they seemed to be pretty fundamentally influential on US garage too.

BUt I can't see myself affording £125 for a while.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index