"Strangled" - Identity, Status, Structure and The Stranglers

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

"Strangled" - Identity, Status, Structure and The Stranglers
Mar 06, 2015, 20:22
This could be interesting, a more "intellectual" take on The Stranglers' music.
http://www.zero-books.net/books/strangled
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: "Strangled" - Identity, Status, Structure and The Stranglers
Mar 06, 2015, 21:52
OoooooOo, thanks for the heads up. Might have to get that. It reads a bit like a PhD thesis, but for a Stranglerphile like me, a bit of a must. Off to see em, yet again, next week
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Mar 08, 2015, 17:56
Looks interesting. Will have a punt on it. :)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 10, 2015, 19:10
I'd love to see a feminist critique of The Stranglers .... that would be interesting! =;o)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 11, 2015, 13:03
Considering really nasty stuff like "Bring On the Nubiles". Lol...
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 11, 2015, 14:13
Yep. They are intelligent blokes but I think they always set out to upset everyone else on the punk scene, which seems a bit childish looking back.
I've always loved The Stranglers (Burnell is a real hero to me), but they've come out with some pretty dickish things over the years ..... I guess none of us is perfect (I have been a complete wanker for much of the time over the last 30 years =;o))
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 12, 2015, 03:37
Well actually I always got a laugh out of the Stranglers' racier songs. I'm pretty sure they weren't any more serious than the Stones were when they wrote "Under My Thumb". Of course last time Hugh Cornwell played my town was at this place in my neighborhood called the Loving Cup, which he played at the second time in a row. Of course he joked that because of the name he was excited to play there because he thought it was a brothel (which would figure anyways...)
carol27
747 posts

Mar 14, 2015, 19:57
My fella saw Hugh Cornwell at a local town hall a couple or so years ago & said he was a right tosser though he thinks Nosferatu is a work of genius. Despite being female I always loved the Stranglers ( in spite of some of their dubious lyrics.) Do You Wanna segueing into Death & Night & Blood is sublime. JJ Burnel' s bass is the best I've ever heard.I think they're way under rated probably because they're not PC, and appear, admittedly, to be awkward bastards. Saying that I went to a concert recently & there was a lot of barely controlled testosterone flying about! Getting a bit too long in the tooth for that sort of stuff! I remember in my youth seeing JJ Burnel stomping along the front of the stage on people's hands. Charming chap. Gorgeous though!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 14, 2015, 22:23
Did you hear about the time they played NYC in '87 (saw them in my town the same tour) and they supposedly took a heckler from the crowd and stuck a celery stalk up his ass?
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Mar 15, 2015, 10:59
Lawrence wrote:
Did you hear about the time they played NYC in '87 (saw them in my town the same tour) and they supposedly took a heckler from the crowd and stuck a celery stalk up his ass?

I believed they spanked him too, apparently for spitting at them (if it was indeed 1987, the dude was 10 or 11 years behind the times...) during 'Golden Brown'.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index