Yes: 7 Shows From '72

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Yes: 7 Shows From '72
Feb 27, 2015, 16:16
http://www.amazon.com/Progeny-Seven-Shows-Seventy-Two-Deluxe/dp/B00U2MZU9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425052178&sr=8-1&keywords=Progeny:%20Seven%20Shows%20from%20Seventy%20Two&tag=viglink20252-20

possibly related to this:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/notes-from-the-edge/the-lost-yes-tapes/10152498150035602
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Yes: 7 Shows From '72
Feb 27, 2015, 17:04
uh oh
machineryelf
3679 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 18:11
Will this stand up to close scrutiny, it will be pretty much the same show repeated 7 times that's already been heard on Yessongs. I'd be interested to know how much variation there is between shows
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 19:00
machineryelf wrote:
Will this stand up to close scrutiny, it will be pretty much the same show repeated 7 times that's already been heard on Yessongs. I'd be interested to know how much variation there is between shows

Very little I imagine! I guess these are the stash of live tapes that were found in a skip or something along those lines. I know a couple of the mooted shows already but can't say I need an redux of Yessongs UNLESS the recording is a lot clearer than the classic triple.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 20:15
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Very little I imagine! I guess these are the stash of live tapes that were found in a skip or something along those lines. I know a couple of the mooted shows already but can't say I need an redux of Yessongs UNLESS the recording is a lot clearer than the classic triple.

trawling round the net reveals that a 2cd best of set looks likely, I'll probably go for that, just as a change from Yessongs, more interested in the May 10 1975 QPR show that's mentioned as being with the 72 tapes
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2015, 09:45
Feb 27, 2015, 22:38
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

trawling round the net reveals that a 2cd best of set looks likely, I'll probably go for that, just as a change from Yessongs, more interested in the May 10 1975 QPR show that's mentioned as being with the 72 tapes

QPR! I was there aged 13. I have a 2 x dvd rip of the original Japanese laser discs but the sound is truly awful a lot of the time (all kinds of level surges, especially from the keys) and Jon A a bit short on the top notes though the sound improves as the show goes on. The in-the-dark half is great. I didn't know a multitrack even existed of that show. Cool!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Mar 07, 2015, 13:09
From Forgotten Yesterdays

PROGENY facts. I see lots of confusion about aspects of this set around the Internets. Maybe y'all can spread the word. As I understand it here's the situation:
1) PROGENY is 7 complete shows from Oct/November 1972, on the US leg of the 'Close to the Edge' tour. It's Alan White on drums. The setlist is the same on each. Most of them have not been in circulation as bootlegs before.
2) PROGENY was sourced from multitrack tapes (either 16-track or 8-track, I'm not sure), discovered some time after 2008, and since then carefully restored and remixed to 2-track by Brian Kehew, who was responsible for mixing the bonus tracks on the Rhino TORMATO reissue (as well as many other notable projects).
3) 8 shows were discovered in the complete PROGENY cache but one (Hartford 9/25/72) was deemed unusable.
4)The PROGENY source tapes are NOT the 'lost tapes/dumpster tapes/road case' cache discovered in 1998. There is overlap of 2 shows in the two caches, but the lost tapes also include 3 recordings from Feb1972 (shows likely to be the source of the Bruford tracks on Yessongs), one from Dec 1972, and one from May 1975, none of which were part of the PROGENY cache.
5) It's unclear what format the 'lost tapes' are -- multitracks or two-track. It's unclear whether they are complete shows. It's also unclear *where* the 'lost tapes' are now -- though last report had them delivered to the 'Yes archive'.
6) PROGENY *likely* include the shows that were the source for these 'Yessongs' tracks: Siberian Khatru, Heart of the Sunrise, And You And I, All Good People, Mood For A Day, Six Wives, Roundabout, Yours Is No Disgrace.
7) 'Likely' but not 'certainly' because we know that one other show from the CttE tour -- London , at the Rainbow theater, in December -- was recorded and used for Yessongs. Tapes for this show (or shows, as there were 2 nights the Rainbow) were NOT found with the PROGENY cache. The Yessongs performances of 'Close to the Edge' and 'Starship Trooper' came from a Rainbow/Dec 1972 show. We don't know (yet) if any *other* Yessongs tracks came from a December show.
8) PROGENY will NOT include 'Perpetual Change' and 'Long Distance Runaround/The Fish', since these were not played on the CttE tour -- on Yessongs they are from the 'Fragile' tour.
9) PROGENY is being released as a 14CD set, a 2CD set of 'highlights' (one performance of each song), and a 3-LP set (ditto). We don't know yet whether the highlights represent a 'Yessongs upgrade' (e.g., use the same performances as Yessongs, where possible.
10) No 'high res' or surround sound version of PROGENY or highlights has been announced but since Atlantic has the multitracks (now digitized) , there's no technical reason it couldn't happen.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Mar 07, 2015, 13:14
Producer’s Technical Notes
by Brian Kehew

When we played these tapes for the first time, the quality was poor, muddy and strange, yet they did sound like the famous Yessongs album. Producer/engineer Eddie Offord has said the original recordings were of compromised quality, but he did a stellar job mixing the original Yessongs. (Offord was mixing the live concert sound for the audience during these shows; he did not record them.) After a day or so of trying to mix from poor sound, it became clear to us that the Dolby units (used to reduce tape hiss) had been misaligned during the original recordings, and this had resulted in a murkiness. By calibrating each track’s Dolby setting (for guitar, snare drum, vocal etc.) by ear, it was possible to clarify every recorded part. And each show needed a different setting since they had all been done incorrectly. With this adjustment, we were able to restore the tracks to their original clarity and power, something that had been lost even during the original Yessongs mixing. As a result, these recordings now sound open and immediate, giving us some of the best-sounding performances of the band during their heyday.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2015, 17:13
Mar 07, 2015, 17:10
Thank you for all that information.

I would love to hear some complete shows with Bruford from the Fragile era that have been recorded and mixed with this degree of tlc but I will take what I can get.

They were a force of nature on stage in the 70s and although Yessongs is wonderful it does not quite capture that combination of lightness of touch and power. Those who tar them with the over indulgence brush probably haven't listened closely enough to find that there is barely a note wasted in even the longest pieces. They had room to be creative in the solos but the solos were part of the music not the sort of extended wank fests that Purple and Led Zep got into. Yessongs does more justice to Yes than The Song Remains The Same did to LZ but there is still a gap to be filled. Maybe this set will achieve that. Which is no more than they deserve.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 07, 2015, 17:41
IanB wrote:
Thank you for all that information.

I would love to hear some complete shows with Bruford from the Fragile era that have been recorded and mixed with this degree of tlc but I will take what I can get.

They were a force of nature on stage in the 70s and although Yessongs is wonderful it does not quite capture that combination of lightness of touch and power. Those who tar them with the over indulgence brush probably haven't listened closely enough to find that there is barely a note wasted in even the longest pieces. They had room to be creative in the solos but the solos were part of the music not the sort of extended wank fests that Purple and Led Zep got into. Yessongs does more justice to Yes than The Song Remains The Same did to LZ but there is still a gap to be filled. Maybe this set will achieve that. Which is no more than they deserve.

I'd be interested to hear this - sounds fascinating.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index