98 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3064 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 12:43
The naturally psychedelic
Feb 27, 2015, 12:38
It's occured to me that people have been tripping out on shrooms for millennia and that this would have been for pleasure not just ritual. Their auditory accompaniment apart from whatever instruments were extant would have been the sound of the surrounding environment, perhaps most prominently birdsong. I can vouch for the quality of a CD available on Amazon called Dawn Chorus: A Sound Portrait of a British Woodland at Sunrise, which is an old but very atmospheric recording from the British Library Sound Archive. Linked to it on Amazon is another CD simply called Dawn Chorus, which I haven't heard, but reviews indicate is just as good. Birds sing for many reasons, including, I am convinced, for the hell of it and because they are happy. On recordings like this song for whatever purpose and none may coexist simultaneously. It is a natural form of free jazz, psychedelic and uplifting. The Floyd's Granchester Meadows and Cirrus Minor would be lesser pieces without it, as would Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band's Greenfield Morning, which uses the same sample as the latter.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index