37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Best of Music 2014 ?....
Dec 21, 2014, 15:21
Here's 10 albums I've particularly enjoyed:

Ambarchi-O'Malley-Dunn - Shade Themes from Kairos. Best looking record of the year - great gatefold with 5 fantastic pieces of artwork and studio photos.

Anthroprophh - Outside the Circle. Weird psych ramblings from the Heads guitarist. Inventive and pretty good fun.

Bong - Stoner Rock. Actually the double vinyl gatefold is another thing of beauty! Two guitarists this time but fewer chords.

Richard Dawson - Nothing Important. Adolescent reminisces to a weird Beefheartian eastern tinged blues/folk.

Datashock - Keine Oase in Sicht. Another excellent double album of telepathic improv from this German collective.

Earth - Primitive and Deadly. I'm not a massive Earth fan but glad I took a punt on this as it's fantastic -great guitar textures and riffs, and pacing is spot on.

Kikagaku Moyo - Mammatus Clouds (Forest of Lost Children also excellent). Live, unedited improv - beautiful.

New Bums - Voices in a Rented Room. Acoustic guitar and voice duo, Ben Chasny and a mate of his - short songs but has a meditational quality to it with the almost whispered vocals. Their American tour sounded great too - they relied on hospitality of mates and strangers on an epic few months long trek across the US

Richard Pinhas & Yoshida Tatsuya - Welcome in the Void (the Pinhas and Ambarchi collaboration is also good). Guitar and drums improv.

Yair Elazar Glotman - Northern Gulf. My favourite of numerous beautiful electronic soundscapes pertaining to frozen landscapes. See also Machinefabriek (Stillness Soundtracks) and Thomas Koner (Tiento de las Nieves).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index