12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2014, 13:39
Re: Soundtrack Of Our Lives Week Ending 21st September 2014 CE
Sep 21, 2014, 14:54
spencer wrote:
4) V/A - And Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain ... Jimmy Webb's music by those that made it great. If you're not torn up by Levi Stubbs's vocal on The Four Tops' Do What You've Got To Do then you're lacking, imo ........ 5) Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off/ Trout Mask Replica/ Shiny Beast (in multiple versions ... sometimes it takes a long time to 'get' some records. In my case with Trout Mask well over forty years. Now a door has opened thanks to my mate, who at present has like me, never appreciated the Captain's music so much... and he toured with him. A bit of a cunt to others on occasions, like JM, but a genius. Full stop(.)

Love the Jimmy Webb compilation. Until it came out I only really knew of his stuff via Glen Campbell, but that disc showed he was very versatile and could write for many different genres without sounding like a dilettante in any of them. definitely on a par with Bacharach/David, Goffin/King etc etc.

Re Beefheart - it took me a few weeks to appreciate "TMR", but for some reason I got "Decals" straight away, even though it's not all that different. Maybe my ears had become acclimatized to his muse by that point.

Et pour moi?

Goat - Commune
Purling Hiss - Wierdon
Two masterpieces in one month. Only had time to listen to each one twice but I'm practically creaming my jeans already!

The Stanley Brothers - All-Time Greatest Hits
Jimmie Rodgers - The Singing Brakeman (The Ultimate Collection)
Bearing in mind that Rodgers hailed from Mississippi in the early part of the 20th Century, and how segregated the American south was at the time, I'm surprised how close to the blues a lot of his stuff is. A few of the songs are based around that classic twelve-bar pattern, and if you took out the yodelling you could play most of his songs next to a Robert Johnson song without the two jarring against each other at all. Seems there may have been more of a cultural interface between black and white musicians than I thought, even back then. Best version of "Frankie and Johnny" I've ever heard, too.

Also
Carlo Gesualdo - Madrigals (Book 5)
Montage - s/t
Michael Nesmith - The Older Stuff
The Flaming Lips - 1991 Tarbox Demos (a bootleg, natch, containing many of the songs that ended up on "Hit to Death in the Future Head", but often in drastically re-worked versions).

Unsung Forum Index