6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2014, 15:17
Re: Cover Chains
Sep 18, 2014, 14:55
I think the Jeffrey Lee Pierce song Get Away included in the Flamingoes e.p. emerged from a version of the very different Flipper song of the same name.

Sally Go Round The Roses goes through a number of different variations from the Jaynettes original which itself sounds like a versionof an older folk song. I love the Great Society version and the Pentangle version's pretty good, Tim Buckley seems to start off improvising on the song and take it somewhere very different. Almost seems to be hypertextualising on it.

I'm just listening to a Nick cave set from his summer US tour which has me thinking of Staggerlee which has gone through a myriad of different versions including some variations on the title. It seemed to be a standard of early blues, was picked up on by Wilson Pickett and others in soul r'n'b days. Now Nick Cave seems to like riding the groove on it where it takes him.
He also used to do I Put A Spell On You which is a number a lot of people have done in very different versions with a lot of extemporisation in.

There's also Gloria which Patti Smith took off into very different places, not sure to what extent she bunged in diferrent songs, Horses also includes her takeoff on Land of 1000 dances. I think both of those songs have had other artists leave their stamp on them through what they do with them that differs wildly from the original

was that what you were looking for?
Stevo

Unsung Forum Index