Your very quietest concert

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Re: Your very quietest concert
Aug 20, 2014, 07:22
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Newcastle University about 2001/2002. For some reason you'd get loads of people going to gigs at that particular venue (it was ticketed too in a separate room to the rest of the union) who were interesed in the bands and would just talk the entire time. This somewhat spoilt the dynamics of GY!BE's "glockenspeil & tape recording" half of each song.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 09:22
I remember one Jonathan Richman show in King tuts where he asked for the air-con to be switched off as it was louder than him. Height of blummmin' summer too

Too many fesitval gigs drowned out. At the Wickerman this year folky john Smith (rather good, BTW) was completely swamped by the idiot idea to put Colonel Mustard & The Dijon 5 (Glasgow's premiere loopy party funk band) on in the next door 'spoken word' tent.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 09:42
One of my favourite bands of the last decade is Hamilton Yarns, who are rarely amplified or use microphones at all. Even that acoustic guitar is only gently picked, never aggressively strummed, and the vocals are very soft. There is generally muted trumpet, but that's as loud as it gets. This probably all sounds very twee, but they're quite experimental; I think I once described them as a pastoral Faust playing the music of Vernon Eliot.
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 00:30
Nick Harper - Sheffield City Hall Memorial Hall, supporting his dad on the Green Man tour. PA failure. He did his best to sing and play loudly to compensate and then a 'light went on' got his ickle 6" high practice amp/speaker and played through that. The guy's a total trouper.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 10:22
Think I was at that gig, thought the sound was spot on, suitably quiet/loud, not as easy as iy sounds Explosions in the Sky lost a lot of their dynamic live imho because the quiet was too loud and the loud too quiet. Didn't notice any annoying audience members either. Saw the Neil Young show that Fitter was so upset about and really enjoyed that as well, maybe I'm just thicj skinned
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 13:00
Same guy - Nick Harper at St Helens Citadel last year. The PA packed up during the support set and Nick played unamplified. For once, the Merseyside crowd stayed quiet and listened. He then took the gig outside on the street. Magical.

evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyFTXPVdB-E
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 23, 2014, 12:13
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
One of my favourite bands of the last decade is Hamilton Yarns, who are rarely amplified or use microphones at all. Even that acoustic guitar is only gently picked, never aggressively strummed, and the vocals are very soft. There is generally muted trumpet, but that's as loud as it gets. This probably all sounds very twee, but they're quite experimental; I think I once described them as a pastoral Faust playing the music of Vernon Eliot.

Hmmm, ... Just listening to "Search for the Underwater Town" now. Yep, could be persuaded. Think the Faust comparison is valid, as well as Movietone (for the non-twee pastoral idyllic feel) and Pram (for their deliberately naive approach to playing instruments they've never quite conventionally mastered).
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2014, 10:09
Aug 25, 2014, 10:09
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
I remember one Jonathan Richman show in King tuts where he asked for the air-con to be switched off as it was louder than him. Height of blummmin' summer too

He did that at a sold out Deaf Institute gig too making it a seemingly unlikely contender for top of the list of my 'Your very sweatiest gig'! Bless him.

:o)
andreas
369 posts

Sep 05, 2014, 23:15
I know it sounds absurd but yesterday Moon Duo at The Caves, Edinburgh. I was really hugging the very wee "P.A.". My head was away from it only 20 or 30 cm's and I could hear the handclapping behind me !
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Sep 07, 2014, 14:27
andreas wrote:
I know it sounds absurd but yesterday Moon Duo at The Caves, Edinburgh. I was really hugging the very wee "P.A.". My head was away from it only 20 or 30 cm's and I could hear the handclapping behind me !

I was almost going to go to that. Partly other stuff happening, financial restraints and tinnitus been playing up lately I didn't bother. Sounds like I needn't have worried about the latter anyway. I haven't been to the Caves yet - wonder if it's a venue thing.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index