Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Tinnitus
Aug 19, 2014, 13:49
Kid Calamity wrote:
I've got it. Anyone else?

Yep - though it's much louder in one ear than the other.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 13:54
Sin Agog wrote:
Did you all do something I should avoid? Was it from loud gigs, primitive PA's, or just general attrition from regular music listening? I dig harmonically pleasing sound-clusters...but fuck am I gonna let musik ruin my ability to savour a bit of peace and quiet.

Yes - going to gigs and playing in bands regularly for 20 years without using earplugs. And catching an ear infection.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Your very loudest concert ?
Aug 19, 2014, 14:26
THat TWR gig was the one that was at the hottest time of the year and was reviewerd as all the oxygen having left the room wasn't it? I remember the reviewer saying something about having difficulty getting a cigarette to light.
THink that place could be pretty airless when crowded at the best of times. Do wish I'd seen the gig, think I've had it as audio though.

Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 15:23
Sin Agog wrote:
Did you all do something I should avoid? Was it from loud gigs, primitive PA's, or just general attrition from regular music listening? I dig harmonically pleasing sound-clusters...but fuck am I gonna let musik ruin my ability to savour a bit of peace and quiet.

All the above plus a bit of bad luck in soundcheck at the hands of an incompetent sound man a year or so ago. I was already well on the way but that took me into the realm of the permanent background hum.
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 15:49
Aug 19, 2014, 15:45
I'm a drummer - and from 1976 was playing in small rehearsal spaces battling with guitar heroes.

Even during my twelve years off, I was going to gigs and thumping clubs - so I've never given my ears much of a rest. The tinnitus, therefore, was already developing a long time ago. I've not experienced total silence for a very long time, now.

Recent bands have been generally more careful. I was always getting moaned at in Neotopia, despite trying to play soft for their softy sensibilities. However, in an early line-up of my current beat combo, one guy really fucked my hearing a couple of years ago. I was kneeling down, packing my cymbals away, when he chose to give his guitar synth a closing blast. It was set on some scarily strobophonic siren sound - and going through a huge rig. It took several days for my hearing to return and I suspect it was him who gave me this ongoing hiss. Git.

Playing festivals and gigs means, big PAs and monitors pointing at my head. I also tend to hit the drums and cymbals a lot harder, too.
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 15:52
I saw Motorhead on the Overkill tour and didn't think their show at the Birmingham Odeon was that loud, really. I remember discussing it afterwards with a bandmate I gone with and we agreed that the PA wasn't up to the job. It had been pushed too far and therefore distortion was occuring without the oppressive volume.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 18:43
Ta, guys. You all have my commiserations. I'm already half deaf in one ear- it makes for at least a daily Curb Your Enthusiasm bit of social awkwardness as I mishear what people say in the worst possible way- but I think I'm the type of restless, un-zen personality who'd probably be driven into the loonie bin if I ever came down with tinnitus. No rock star career for me, then.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 23:27
andreas wrote:
Mine was Swans in Nuremberg.

Christoph De Babalon.

Seen the usual suspects... Motörhead, Swans, MBV and so on. But the only time in my entire life I actually considered stepping outside for a break (though ultimately I didn't) was during an evening of Digital Hardcore bands in the South Bank Centre. The night was curated by John Peel and ended with an amazing set from Atari Teenage Riot; but it kicked off with Christoph De Babalon and what I can only describe as the sound of someone trying to tune jet engines. It was overpowering and I'm very glad I stayed through it, but it was definitely a challenge.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 19:37
Aug 20, 2014, 16:54
Stevo wrote:
THat TWR gig was the one that was at the hottest time of the year and was reviewerd as all the oxygen having left the room wasn't it? I remember the reviewer saying something about having difficulty getting a cigarette to light.
THink that place could be pretty airless when crowded at the best of times. Do wish I'd seen the gig, think I've had it as audio though.

Stevo

Yes, I believe it was. the Falcon was a tiny venue with no air conditioning whose promoters regularly oversold its capacity, so - as you say - it could get pretty claustrophobic at the best of times, but I remember that show as being particularly nightmarish in that respect. Great gig though - really felt as if though were in the belly of the beast.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2014, 17:46
Aug 20, 2014, 17:13
It could be fate or genetics. I have 9 guitars, a bass, access to a drum kit, a keyboard and a very loud sound system. Done it for years.

Maybe I don't know? Or possibly lucky? It seems to interfere with frequencies though.

Shreiks are a problem. I don't believe that tinnitus is ongoing.

In a good way. Give the ear a rest.

Then start again!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index