songs that channel syd barrett's pink floyd era

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: songs that channel syd barrett's pink floyd era
Jul 26, 2014, 19:55
In terms of Robyn Hitchcock-style indebtedness, Paul Roland often really reminds me of him. Though he gravitated more to baroque touches than untamed psyche, they both have quite similar timbres and seem mildly obsessed with Edwardian quaintness and children's ephemera. Demon In A Glass Case.

I mentioned this the other day, but my favourite contemporaneous imitation of Syd Floyd was Halfnelson/Sparks (Jane Church/The Factory).

I think schizophrenia- and perhaps moments of mental collapse from which you later recover- tends to affect creative expression in a very direct and palpable way, musically especially. You can hear that off-kilter, discordant quality in many of the great Outsider acts, from Wild Man Fischer to Lucia Pamela and Daniel Johnston, and immediately relate them to Syd. The word Outsider isn't doled-out to these guyze without justification; every note of their creative outpourings smacks of someone looking at the world from the wrong side of the window. And frankly, give me that over the comfortably numb and feckless middle-class malaise of later Floyd every time.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index