Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Re: Shop Assistants
May 24, 2014, 00:16
thispoison wrote:
elegant chaos wrote:
I've interviewed loads of people over the years for fanzines, webzines, the Morning Star etc. The Shop Assistants were the subjects of my very first interview - backstage at ULU in October '86. After they split Alex formed the Motorcycle Boy - the band I played in - Stranger (later called Counterfeit) supported them at the Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross.

Motorcycle Boy were short-lived but v.good. LOVED The Shop Assistants.

Ha! Came down from Edinburgh for that ULU gig. We were the ones shouting for "Something To Do" off the first (Aggi Pastel fronted) 7". And they played it IIRC! Didn't the Bodines play support that night too? Have a vague memory of speaking to theiir (and later Happy Mondays) manager Nathan McGough after the gig. Loved the Shop Assistants, till Alex left anyway. Don't think they were ever on Creation, though. Wasn't it Villa - Underground - 53rd & 3rd - Chrysalis (and then Avalanche after Alex left)? David Keegan was the main-man and songwriter throughout (possibly why Alex left, to take more creative control, maybe?).

You're right. Me wrongish. The first single was on SUBWAY. It all looked the same back then!.

Unsung Forum Index