Shop Assistants

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 24, 2014, 05:39
Shop Assistants
May 23, 2014, 18:53
Fantastic band. Whatever happened to them?

I miss Alex and the rest of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyY6H8AXeIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384BDb5_tnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKzBZ7FKu0

The guitar player dude was on Countdown one day. Unreal!
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Shop Assistants
May 23, 2014, 19:44
I've interviewed loads of people over the years for fanzines, webzines, the Morning Star etc. The Shop Assistants were the subjects of my very first interview - backstage at ULU in October '86. After they split Alex formed the Motorcycle Boy - the band I played in - Stranger (later called Counterfeit) supported them at the Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross.

Motorcycle Boy were short-lived but v.good. LOVED The Shop Assistants.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

May 23, 2014, 20:50
I think one or two of 'em were at the LSE at the same time I was, if I remember correctly. Saw them in a pub in Brixton once - great fun.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited May 23, 2014, 22:57
May 23, 2014, 22:54
elegant chaos wrote:
I've interviewed loads of people over the years for fanzines, webzines, the Morning Star etc. The Shop Assistants were the subjects of my very first interview - backstage at ULU in October '86. After they split Alex formed the Motorcycle Boy - the band I played in - Stranger (later called Counterfeit) supported them at the Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross.

Ha! Came down from Edinburgh for that ULU gig. We were the ones shouting for "Something To Do" off the first (Aggi Pastel fronted) 7". And they played it IIRC! Didn't the Bodines play support that night too? Have a vague memory of speaking to theiir (and later Happy Mondays) manager Nathan McGough after the gig. Loved the Shop Assistants, till Alex left anyway. Don't think they were ever on Creation, though. Wasn't it Villa - Underground - 53rd & 3rd - Chrysalis (and then Avalanche after Alex left)? David Keegan was the main-man and songwriter throughout (possibly why Alex left, to take more creative control, maybe?).
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

May 24, 2014, 00:16
thispoison wrote:
elegant chaos wrote:

Ha! Came down from Edinburgh for that ULU gig. We were the ones shouting for "Something To Do" off the first (Aggi Pastel fronted) 7". And they played it IIRC! Didn't the Bodines play support that night too? Have a vague memory of speaking to theiir (and later Happy Mondays) manager Nathan McGough after the gig. Loved the Shop Assistants, till Alex left anyway. Don't think they were ever on Creation, though. Wasn't it Villa - Underground - 53rd & 3rd - Chrysalis (and then Avalanche after Alex left)? David Keegan was the main-man and songwriter throughout (possibly why Alex left, to take more creative control, maybe?).

You're right. Me wrongish. The first single was on SUBWAY. It all looked the same back then!.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited May 24, 2014, 00:26
May 24, 2014, 00:25
Never even knew that the band continued after Alex left.

Shop Assistants were never on Creation. Would have been interesting if they were though.

We were on it though - briefly. At the same gig where we supported The Motorcycle Boy there was another band called Patric. Their guest bassist was Chris Groothuizen from House of Love. Chris referred us to Alan McGee after that gig.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 24, 2014, 00:43
May 24, 2014, 00:42
elegant chaos wrote:
Never even knew that the band continued after Alex left.

Shop Assistants were never on Creation. Would have been interesting if they were though.

We were on it though - briefly. At the same gig where we supported The Motorcycle Boy there was another band called Patric. Their guest bassist was Chris Groothuizen from House of Love. Chris referred us to Alan McGee after that gig.

I corrected that mistake! SUBWAY. Of similar ilk though. Talking of Alan McGee, I went to see The Cocteau Twins at The Glasgow Pavillion one night and some support band member came up to me afterwards and said "are you Alan McGee?" I said "no, I think you'll find him over there" (pished as a fart and in the corner). Heady days indeed!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 24, 2014, 03:30
I thought they were terrible.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 24, 2014, 04:42
May 24, 2014, 04:03
Lawrence wrote:
I thought they were terrible.

Me and a few pals changed 'The Sound Of Young Scotland'.

Before we had really cheesy soul (apart fom Josef K and Orange Juice and Roddy)

What a good idea it was to turn it Upside Down and listen to Lou Reed loudly enough.

That's why Splash 1 was invented. Mindboggling! There were loads of us that formed bands due to that Sunday night most weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO41-rKUsc
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

May 24, 2014, 10:57
My first gig was a little mini festival in Halifax Piece Hall in 1986.

The Shop Assistants / Ghost Dance / The Wedding Present / Pop Will Eat Itself / Rose of Avalanche / The Psycho Surgeons / Chinese Gangster Element

£3.50 on the door I think. Bargain!
Unsung Forum Index