Unsung Forum »
Cluster

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Cluster
Nov 18, 2013, 12:08
So, I found myself in Exeter's Rooster Records, last week. What a place! Jammed full of good, interesting hot poop and actually all of it reasonably priced.

Among the haul I dragged from the establishment, was a live Cluster CD. It's good. It's their Live In Berlin 2007 album. So, this is a later album, a reunion set, I presume - So, I can only guess at how good they must've been at their creative peak.

So, what do I need? Don't answer that, Vybik. I mean Cluster album-wise, of course.
spencer
spencer
3064 posts

Re: Cluster
Nov 18, 2013, 12:46
I have Cluster and Eno's After The Heat, which is very good. I guess it must be 36ish years old now. Holds up. I'm not sure without checking whether it's been re-released under another name, worth your money nonetheless.
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 12:48
Brian Eno's collaboration with David Byrne 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts'was another of my purchases, as it happens. I got the recent remaster version for £6.00!
spencer
spencer
3064 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 13:24
Ah,..Jezebel Spirit : )
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 13:41
Just like with Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh and quite a few Kosmischers, their earliest steps are psyche in its unalloyed, raw ore form. This just won't do for most. Cluster, back when they were Kluster, made most Industrial acts look chirpy, with Bible recitations over the most primordial and painful of electronics (the Bible passages were part of a deal they made with some Christian cats to fund the records). The effect works wonders for me. I almost invariably (Vuh's Affenstude excepted) prefer the early uncompromising Kraut to the later cleaner strains. That said, Cluster's Zuckerzeit is my most-played album of theirs. I love how the beats are just slightly out of sync, and all the day-glo melodicism of the whole thing. It's arguably more singular than the earlier cavernous electro-Troglodyte music in its own way. Their first album since they dropped the K and picked up a C is quite intense. Really, even after their heyday, they were always worth listening to- i.e. 2009's Qua. More consistent than your Tang Dreams, for sure. Czech out Harmonia if you haven't, of course, and the rarely talked about Liliental.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 17:53
I picked up Zwei Osterei by the earlier Kluster incarnation in, of all places, a sale in Truro's HMV. It's not the easiest of listens at all, although luckily I have no idea what any of the German means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwei-Osterei
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 18:18
The first couple of Cluster with a C are like deep space soundtracks from what I recall, certainly the 2nd one is. That's the one with the stars on the sleeve.
I had a Kluster lp for a while at one point, but it got nicked before I got a chance to hear it.

Zuckerzeit is pretty decent as is the collaboration with Eno on After the Heat which I haven't heard in way too long. Seemed to be something taht a lot of post-punk stuff picked up influence from.

Harmonia are also great which is a collaboration between both members of Cluster and Neu!'s Michael Rother . I think I can vouch for both studio lps and the Live 1974 set. Definitely have one of the 2lps physically on cd but can't think which. But think they're both recommended

Stevo
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 19:27
Harmonia & Eno - Tracks and Traces is superb.

Picks for me are "Luneberg Heath", "Welcome" (quite like some of Apollo), "Atmosphere" and "Almost". Has similarities to parts of Before & After Science as well.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Nov 18, 2013, 22:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSxkOnUZeM
hallgeraet
hallgeraet
96 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 00:21
I am a big fan of the trio "Sowiesoso" - "Cluster + Eno" - "After the Heat". Not as edgy as their early stuff, but mysterious and beautiful sound paintings. Perfect soundtrack for long walks in the forest.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index