Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2013, 16:30
Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 19, 2013, 16:22
Kid Calamity wrote:

Now, if we could get a suitable rule-bending musical style to soundtrack it. Must it be dubstep?

Its taken many years, of not caring mostly cos what I heard was shit, but there is actually some good dubstep I've found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU8j3DsOhrU

Mind you, as I also say in this thread it's probably not called Dubstep this one now. Anyhow, yeah, Punch Drunk Records, worth your investigation.
Edit : Also, for trainspotters, that track shows beyond all reasonable doubt that Dubstep came *mostly* out of the UK Garage scene.

I think you're both overrating, nostalgically over playing punk and what it was a bit. It wasn't all that political outside of a handful of bands lets be honest. It was DIY first and foremost. It created the Dance scene that followed most obviously, which was pure DIY, and had a lot of old punks involved in it's inception. We're really not short of DIY artists/bands etc these days tbh.

It's a matter of perception, direct action/revolutionary groups don't need soundtracks anymore. Also, even if they did, why would they need lyrics, let alone guitars ? ;)

Okay, that paragraph is a bit of a troll. But the point is, anti-establishment activity is happening/increasing. An upturn is occurring, albeit in a wholly different and more abstract way than us old fucks really recognise.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index