Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2013, 09:05
Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 18, 2013, 19:17
stray wrote:
What the hell does Indie mean ? I know what it meant, but then it became a sound, and it had sub genres too, like 'jangle pop'. We clique. Indie labels identifying with a scene are responsible for this, much like electronic labels were. It's not a question of following the approaches of Majors, it's just what naturally happens, strata form. The trick for a label is to try and build themselves into such a way that they themselves don't crystalise. 4AD and Creation managed this, then.. ah.. see what happened there ? Same problem as Ninja Tune and Warp. At least when Touch Records noticed this happening to them they decided to just not be a record label anymore.

That is interesting. True about Dischord too. What I was getting at was that they / Fugazi did business very differently. That otherness probably ossified into a house style (musical and corporate) at some point and would be unlikely to evolve further but I find Ian MacKaye pretty impressive in terms of his do-what-I-do matching up with his do-what-I-say.

I know next to dick about dance music and electronic dance music in particular other than the records I own and most of those would be late 70s to early 80s so don't have much to offer there.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index