IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2013, 19:21
Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 18, 2013, 19:14
billding68 wrote:
IanB wrote:
billding68 wrote:
This whole subject to me smacks of self importance and the cooler then thou mentality some people have.if you are a musician and you are selling your "product" for a profit haven't you in a way already sold out? Does it really matter in the big scheme of things really? Is worth argument really? People sell to make money is that bad? If I had the where with all to produce anything people wanted to buy fucking right id sell it!

I agree. What I thought was interesting was the idea that indie music culture has an innate value and is an endangered species that needs protecting from commerce and has to somehow survive exposure to the big bad world of advertising.

Oh my God someone agreed with me! This is a first! Bless you or whatever! Thanks

Ha! I think the desire to make stuff that isn't built explicitly for the market is an impulse worth protecting but to codify / comodify something as "indie" and hang on to that is weird to me. I mean as soon as Billboard came up with a Modern Rock Chart or whatever it was called in the late 80s or early 90s all kinds of bands rushed to adapt their sound to fit in to a format that they thought would help them get radio play and success and money and such. That is kind of what I saw here around 1984/5. And then the majors starting signing all kinds of horrible indie landfill. By the same token there were some very good acts signed to majors who were snubbed by the NME and Melody Maker because they were flying the wrong colours. Anyway ....
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index