Unsung Forum »
"How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 18, 2013, 15:23
Enjoyed reading that. Yes, the rise of the sub-genre has been something to observe, and something that's not without it's unintentional humour moments too. I mean "Hardbag" is still one of my fave names for a sub-genre. And even what is perceived as a somewhat conservative, immobile genre, Metal, now boasts more sub-genres than you can wave a battle axe at. Musically, I think it's good in that it throws up a huge variety of things to point yer ears at and keeps things evolving and mutating. But, as so often with these things, there is occasionally a quiet sense of desperation about the whole categorizatio process.
Plus, this cross pollination of stuff may keep things pretty fertile but it can make looking for stuff in some shops bloody confusing!

I don't really know what indie is any more. I think I knew what it was, to my mind at least, but these days? Pffft! I mean. arena-straddling behemoths like Coldplay turn up in the 'indie' sections in some shops. And if there ever was an indie ethos, it seems to be extremely diffuse and disparate these days, probably existing on the outskirts of its own genre.

My attitude to bands using ads and products to flog their wares (and someone else's wares!) has mellowed over the years simply because the game has changed so much that I don't think I can be that judgemental about it any more. Of course, some things can still jar on an instinctive, emotional level, but when the head's in charge, I can see why some bands or artists make the choices they do, even if it rankles in the gut.

In the meantime, this made me grin today -

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/hundreds-of-lost-indie-bands-found-in-camden-lock-2013111881206
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index