46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 18, 2013, 11:30
IanB wrote:
I didn't see much business innovation in the vein of say Dischord. More's the pity.

Interesting you use Dischord as a reference. You can't really get more niche than Dischord, love them and what they do but it is reasonably strict on style (audible style that is, and politically too you could argue) and it's very rigid when it comes to location. If you aren't from/based in DC then you don't get on the label. I agree and see a lot of value in their approach, but, it's still really just a scene based label ('The Even's' notwithstanding). We're really not sure of scene based labels, but not many that are regional promotion engines like Dischord.

Indie labels have always been scene based historically, the problem is the number of scenes out there have dwindled, therefore the musical variety isn't there for an indie label to identify and push. The problem must be then the lack of enough artists, and reasonably sized audiences, with imagination. Labels cannot lead this change they have to serve what's there. These are not problems electronic music, jazz or out there experimental music suffer from though. Indie homogenised itself, so.. die and move on. This isn't unique to guitar based/pop tinged music. I see the same thing happens in electronic music, but it happens there far more rapidly. Dub Techno is my current case study on this, what started as an imaginative new form with a wide palette is now a very small inflexible form that uses/reuses the same grooves, pads and production. Die and move on.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index