Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2013, 15:21
Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 04, 2013, 15:17
stray wrote:
I'm not the one who insulted someone who gave my work a good review. I'm not the one who belittled a wide movement to attempt an alternative approach to getting work out there (CC Licence) purely cos it doesn't make money. I could go on but your posts are in this thread so there is no need. Edit : Incidentally on the CC front an NC licence doesn't mean it has to remain an NC licence. The creator of the work can grant a commercial licence and get paid on a case by case basis. The point is, with an NC licence, or more properly a BY-NC-ND licence, your work can be copied around with no bullshit. You always have to be credited and nobody can legally make money off it unless you let them.

Fuck. This reminds me of polytechnic politics circa 1980. I think you're at worst misguided. You want to make it personal to degree that I find odd.

Anyway either I can't write or you are deliberately misrepresenting me.

I don't like the politics of CC because at heart many of its exponents that I have conversed with do not seem to respect any other way of working. They see other ways of working as an act of submission to capitalism and the market. At best.

I do not think I have insulted anyone (except maybe you accidentally). I thought one or two reviewers flattered the first record in particular and heard things in it that I really could not. Hopefully they listened between the lines to what we were trying to do and were being kind. I wouldn't argue with the Uncut reviewer who said bits of it were pedestrian either. I can't remember ever trumpeting a good review here. Would that have been preferable?

And presumably you have never considered the music consumer's capacity for suspension of disbelief? I am sure you must have wondered what someone else was hearing in something they love but is absolutely mystifying to you. Could that not be down to the fact that the actual activity of searching out and buying the artifact might be satisfying in itself and that the actual music could not help but be enjoyable with that kind of opiated thrill behind it? It happens. I know it has happened to me. The rock industry has relied on that impulse from the most active consumers for as long as I can remember.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index