Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 04, 2013, 14:53
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:

That said I think creative commons has a lot of conceptual merit. I just need someone to explain to me how art that needs forces greater than a bedroom studio is going to get made and at the same time the infrastructure existing and the artists and other contributors not starving in the process. That for me is the unanswerable question while capitalism prevails.

Agreed. But the laptop is the most powerful and most personal musical instrument ever made (quoting someone else there). You can plug other things into one as well. Also check the bloody link I posted, climb the fuck out of your judgmental tower of bitching and try to listen to something and what CC artists are saying and doing. In fact, a hell of a lot of the Jazz and Improv music scene has now gone over to CC.

A lap top can help produce some amazing things that would be all but unachievable with another set of tools. It is a classic example of tech driving how music is made. Can it do what a string quartet or a big band can do where each individual part is loaded with the performer's personality and interpretation? No? Or vice versa? Not so much.

A useful lap top might set you back what for few a years of useful life? You can probably buy one on HP and get the outlay down to £50 a month over three years or less. Depending on what software you are wanting to use and whether you pay for it or not. That's not bad value for what you can produce with it, if you can get a line of credit of course or have the cash to go for a s/h model.

The same amount of money might, if you are fortunate afford you a studio space for two or three days where you can usefully record larger musical forces. That is before the musicians are paid anything. Let alone union scale. And if you want to make music with real people on that kind of scale then you have some decisions and sacrifices and probably some compromises to make.

Now if you think choosing to work with larger forces is itself elitist and if you think one should choose the creative tools that expose you to the least amount of market interference then we shall have to agree to differ.

I am probably not going to admire music more because the artists chose a particular route to distribute their work. I might admire them more as people but I don't think an ethical form of distribution / commodification is in itself something that will necessarily denote a good experience for the listener.

When I have time I will have a listen.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index