Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2013, 14:02
Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 04, 2013, 08:56
handofdave wrote:
Another thing that many of us here share is the actionable impulse to create our own music, which to my mind is one increasingly lacking in the 'regular' culture, being that the regular culture is the same thing as consumer culture. They take what is handed down without considering their own potential for expression.

In creating my own body of work (if you want to call it 'work') it's changed my relationship to the music that others make.

Well yes that's very true. Making music and the self criticism that goes with it has made me less tolerant of other music that seems glib or phoned in or merely cleverly conceived.

What I would argue with is that "regular" these days is the same as "consumer". If we are talking about rock music in all its guises then my sense is that it simply isn't important enough to be part of the mainstream. Music-based celebrity is mainstream. Music itself is marginalised from the mainstream. Right now it is so off the general public's radar people should feel free to innovate but they do the opposite and are risk-adverse instead. Interesting how this recession has produced so little ground breaking popular music when the 80s recession produced so much. I guess all that creativity is being applied elsewhere or maybe half an hour of Max Keiser on RT is more enlivening and more Rock than anyone with an album to sell.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index