Regular Non obscure music

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Sep 29, 2013, 23:22
I only post in the 'Soundtracks' thread once in a blue moon... my tastes are pretty eclectic, which I'd suggest is the case with most of the folks here - I think there's a tendency to like a wide spectrum of stuff (from the obscure right through the mainstream). That's the impression I get anyway.

And if I'm totally honest, most of my absolute favourite artists would probably tend more towards the mainstream end of things... in my life I've spent more time listening to David Byrne and Talking Heads than anyone else. And they sold millions of records.

Of course, I wouldn't visit this place at all if I didn't also like a lot of less mainstream acts (the Pink Dots, Swans, Digital Hardcore artists... I suspect I spend more time than is strictly sensible listening to late-60's / early-70's era Stockhausen). And given that this is an Unsung forum after all, it's hardly a surprise that the more obscure stuff gets discussed most often.

Which doesn't mean I don't also adore Bowie, Prince, The Beatles, Van Morrison, Bob Marley and plenty of others who have shifted a shed-load of albums. In truth though, I can't say I've been captivated by much *recent* mainstream stuff. I've put it down to just getting older, but the mainstream has got pretty dire to my ears - and that wasn't the case up to about a decade ago when you seemed to be able to rely on a handful of genuinely good but also pretty popular albums every year. If that's still happening then it's passing me by.

It goes without saying that there are exceptions - I've played the recent Daft Punk record quite a lot. And I really liked Bowie's new one.

Oh, and I watched the Gangnam Style video a whole bunch of times.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index