Regular Non obscure music

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Re: Non Regular obscure musick
Oct 02, 2013, 06:32
Dude... What does that even mean..? And, like others pointed out earlier, the forum's name is unsung. And a lot of the stuff mentioned here isn't even SO obscure (although there's a crucial portion of that too at times). but i think many people (if not most, writing here at the moment/lately) listen to/talk about comparatively 'approachable' music.. Even up to the point where i wish people (because i anyway think that this site( Julian, Seth etc) is/are a prime (and unique) source of info and vibe related to great forgotten/overlooked (i.e. deemed too obscure music. and specifically ROCK!)) would go clogging other forums (of which i'm sure there are many..) with their musings and propaganda concerning thee 'regular' stuff (in which the world seems to be drowning in in the first place..)!

P.s: That would make up one of the most twisted album names ever... There's a Zen-like paradoxical quality to it (non-obscure/not-doing..).
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 02, 2013, 10:04
Hey, he did get his collab on wit' the Wu Tang!

Wu Tang in the Haus
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Oct 02, 2013, 15:16
Charlie2300 wrote:
Where would I start with Stockhausen?

There are many Stockhausens. Sin Agog mentioned "Kontakte"... you can get a compilation of his early pieces that includes that (along with "Zyklus" and "Refrain") and that's really the best of his early stuff. But if you want my personal opinion, he moves from "interesting" to "amazing" somewhere around the mid/late 60s. Check out "Hymnen" and "Stimmung" for stuff that manages to be experimental and intellectually stimulating, while also being emotionally resonant. Beautiful and weird all at once.

"Tierkreis" from the mid-70s is probably the last of that Golden Period... you can't go wrong with anything between Stimmung and Tierkreis in my view.

There's still some amazing stuff after that of course - lots of it - but it's mixed in with some stuff that I didn't find all that interesting. Stuff like "Mikrophonie" and "Klavierstücke" which is plenty experimental enough, but random noises and piano notes just don't touch me, emotionally speaking.

So yeah, kick off with "Hymnen" and "Stimmung"; if you like them then check out other stuff from that period. After that, venture forwards or backwards expecting to be occasionally disappointed, occasionally amazed, but always surprised.

Note: I should point out that you need to be looking at the "Composition" date with Stockhausen, rather than the release date on record - some of his work didn't get an official release for many years after they were composed.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 02, 2013, 20:28
HI DEN wrote:
Dude... What does that even mean..? And, like others pointed out earlier, the forum's name is unsung. And a lot of the stuff mentioned here isn't even SO obscure (although there's a crucial portion of that too at times). but i think many people (if not most, writing here at the moment/lately) listen to/talk about comparatively 'approachable' music.. Even up to the point where i wish people (because i anyway think that this site( Julian, Seth etc) is/are a prime (and unique) source of info and vibe related to great forgotten/overlooked (i.e. deemed too obscure music. and specifically ROCK!)) would go clogging other forums (of which i'm sure there are many..) with their musings and propaganda concerning thee 'regular' stuff (in which the world seems to be drowning in in the first place..)!

P.s: That would make up one of the most twisted album names ever... There's a Zen-like paradoxical quality to it (non-obscure/not-doing..).

Perhaps I should have used Mainstream as opposed to regular but seriously most everyone on here knew what I was getting at and to say you don't really doesn't help your case. Im not gonna flog a dead horse here as I think this thread ran it course and IMHO was a productive positive discussion. Get off yer high horse will ya JEEZ
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Oct 03, 2013, 02:02
I was being cheeky and rhetorical. But i think i made my point as well.

I like my horse HIGH!
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 03, 2013, 02:41
HI DEN wrote:
I was being cheeky and rhetorical. But i think i made my point as well.

I like my horse HIGH!

Enjoy then you cheeky bastard.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 03, 2013, 19:07
It happens from time to time, but as someone (Stray, maybe) almost a decade ago, do we really have to prop up the stuff that's sold eight billion copies, or worse, stuff that made its splash forty years ago?

I have had some 'non obscure' titles here and there.... I can appreciate the odd popular song... but 'REGULAR' to me connotes music that is content to borrow from a quantitatively proven formula.

Sure, it can be well done, and easier to digest, but nobody wants to live on dietary biscuits forever.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Oct 03, 2013, 19:28
keith a wrote:
To go back to the original post in this thread, I've been playing the Pet Shop Boys new album quite a bit. Dunno how it did in the charts cos I haven't seen them lately but I'm guessing it must have made an appearance?

Apparently it got to Number 3, amazingly.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2013, 19:53
Oct 03, 2013, 19:37
I dunno.

Most of what I hear that is passed off as "new" is merely eclectic, a banging together of old ideas into a new-ish shape. When it comes to rock and originality 40 years ago it was still just about still breathing in and out. Just. And apart from a fresh lease of life from 76 - 82 ish it has been on the life support of nostalgia ever since. Eclecticism can be pleasing (Cope is a great example) but it's not really the true poison that will thrill and amaze people in the next century.

For the truly revolutionary in rock (or any genre) you need a technological leap and the leaps we are getting at the moment are in the delivery of music not its creation. You get great jumps forward with say the electric pick up and magnetic tape, the long playing record, Moog and Melotron, the Roland 606 and 808, Cubase, the S1000 and such like and then there is then a second jump when people take the technology and use it in a way that was not intended by the creators. When we get the new thing we will get the new music.

There are maybe 500 composers in the western Classical canon that date back to the 16th century. That's what, one "genius" a year from the whole of Europe? That seems about right to me when you look at say how many true geniuses in a single sport co-exist at any one time. I doubt rock has broken that kind of strike rate except by dint of the wider geographical reach that extends across all continents not just Northern Europe.

Miles Davis, The Stooges and Bowie stay on people's lists year in year out not out of an innate conservatism but as an acknowledgement that when all the detritus is swept these are some of the few that will stand out.

There are the leaders of genres and then there the camp followers and the older I get the less listening to camp followers I do unless the writing is really up there. So I buy very little new rock music. No need, for the time I think I've heard it all.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 03, 2013, 20:48
IanB wrote:
I dunno.

Most of what I hear that is passed off as "new" is merely eclectic, a banging together of old ideas into a new-ish shape. When it comes to rock and originality 40 years ago it was still just about still breathing in and out. Just. And apart from a fresh lease of life from 76 - 82 ish it has been on the life support of nostalgia ever since. Eclecticism can be pleasing (Cope is a great example) but it's not really the true poison that will thrill and amaze people in the next century.

For the truly revolutionary in rock (or any genre) you need a technological leap and the leaps we are getting at the moment are in the delivery of music not its creation. You get great jumps forward with say the electric pick up and magnetic tape, the long playing record, Moog and Melotron, the Roland 606 and 808, Cubase, the S1000 and such like and then there is then a second jump when people take the technology and use it in a way that was not intended by the creators. When we get the new thing we will get the new music.

There are maybe 500 composers in the western Classical canon that date back to the 16th century. That's what, one "genius" a year from the whole of Europe? That seems about right to me when you look at say how many true geniuses in a single sport co-exist at any one time. I doubt rock has broken that kind of strike rate except by dint of the wider geographical reach that extends across all continents not just Northern Europe.

Miles Davis, The Stooges and Bowie stay on people's lists year in year out not out of an innate conservatism but as an acknowledgement that when all the detritus is swept these are some of the few that will stand out.

There are the leaders of genres and then there the camp followers and the older I get the less listening to camp followers I do unless the writing is really up there. So I buy very little new rock music. No need, for the time I think I've heard it all.

I don't agree at all. There are current bands out there that are producing cutting edge innovative 'rock music' (in it's widest sense) that will stand the test of time. They turn up regular as clockwork within the weekly Soundtracks forum thread. It's a mistake to stereotype everything as having been done before (and, by implication, not as well). Off the top of my head, I will swear down that Nisennemondai, horribly addictive Japanese Motorik, is better than Neu! Neu! were the innovators, but Nisennemondai have taken motorik to another level. The latest White Hills album is superb; yes, they're a supercharged Hawkwind for the 21st Century but they're not derivative at all and they're full on, bringing new sounds into 'space rock'. How about Broadcast? Dead Sea Apes & Black Tempest? As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot of quality current tunage out there. This is a good year for my music collection.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index