Regular Non obscure music

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Regular Non obscure music
Sep 29, 2013, 21:26
I often read the soundtracks weekly post and think Jeez does anybody listen to anything NOT totally obscure and unheard of? I mean
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to owning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on the Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Sep 29, 2013, 21:49
billding68 wrote:
I often read the soundtracks weekly post and think Jeez does anybody listen to anything NOT totally obscure and unheard of? I mean
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to owning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on the Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.

I beg to differ with your honerable self. My own Soundtracks this week, for example contains references to Roy Harper, Bob Dylan, Pretty Things, Tangerine Dream and Justin Hayward.

There are often snipes claiming that people just write these threads to show off their obscure knowledge (I hesitate to invoke the name of a certain D1), but I think given the regularity of most of the posters contributions we can safely say that most of these posts are heartfelt and genuine. Any suggestion otherwise is frankly a little, well, rude.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:05
Well, with seven billion people on the planet and a good chunk of them musically-inclined, and some of those musically-inclined people occasionally moseying into a recording studio or in possession of a mic, it's no wonder that a lot of people's playlists are culled from names which mean nothing to most people. But as Momus said about what Andy Warhol said, everyone's famous for fifteen people.

That said, I don't see much obscurantism looking through the last Soundtracks thread. The running conversation seems to be on a Pet Shop Boys album. I doubt anyone's randomly listening to anything. You know how it works: you're into a band, you look into their record label, their compadres, their influences, off-shoots, soundalikes, other acts name-checked in reviews etc. You may find yourself in the hinterlands before too long, but the record industry's mostly a crapshoot so there are as many gems to be found out there as in the canon. More, even, just by dint of sheer numbers.

In terms of new ultra-popular music, I kinda liked the new Kanye West album Yeezus somewhat. Sounded kinda like Dalek at some points- definitely had several industrial influences. Janelle Monae's still got it. There was a leaked album this year by English hypnagogic cracked synth-drenched RnB'er Jai Paul that I loved. And digging two new neon J-Pop releases by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Momoiro Clover Z.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2013, 09:09
Sep 29, 2013, 22:21
billding68 wrote:
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to oiwning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on te Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.

People often make the point here about the death of reliable Music Journalism that is truly without prejudices. Where can somebody go for reliable intelligence? Many people seem to wash up here and the hitherto obscure gets dragged into the light.

I dislike deliberate obscurantism but would not be wary of something just because it was obscure. Technology opens up everything, for right or wrong. Now more than ever before the obscure is seconds away from global exposure... which will never happen... but it could.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:32
QOTSA, the new Moby which I think is released tomorrow not sure if they are top 40 music but they've been on Jools Holland which is pretty the same thing

I have absolutely no idea what is in the charts, listen to a minimal amount of radio and watch almost no TV

the internet has made discovering new music easier but as mentioned elsewhere makes it easier to be obscure, as far as I'm concerned Diodaar, Lobster Priest, Tide of Iron and Basillica are pretty regular music, all local bands I stand a chance of seeing and finding out about whereas unless Kanye West releases something on the Fuckin' Amateurs label I'm right out of the loop
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:43
It should also prolly be pointed out that this is called the Unsung forum. Just saying...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:49
I know a certain Keith A liked something by Britney Spears. (LOL)

Anyways I don't think everything I like is super obscure. One of the last things I listened to recently was the Cars' Panorama. Frankly I'm not into bragging about how I'm into stuff no one's heard of or no one has but wants. It used to be at HH you could trade recordings of rare stuff you had in your collection, like (in my case) the Hampton Grease Band. Nowadays you can hear lots of stuff on the internet and you can buy rare stuff reissued on vinyl -- it's really no big deal. Besides, as I found out, just because someone is into the coolest music, if he was always an asshole he'd STILL be an asshole...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:54
Don't forget a certain someone named after an Aztec deity who seemed cool enough and impressed everyone with his music knowledge, until he started posting his reactionary crap on U-Know. There was also someone who was worse than that politically but otherwise mostly posted about rare editions no one gave a fuck about in the first place.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 22:57
And the Pet Shop Boys weren't that bad, were they? After all, 80s pop came from a much more unpretentious, innocent time. They've probably aged better than someone like Britney Spears ever will.
keith a
9564 posts

Sep 29, 2013, 23:03
Lawrence wrote:
I know a certain Keith A liked something by Britney Spears. (LOL)

Too right. Toxic is a genius pop record. I think Mooncat likes it as well.

I included Kylie's Slow in my Soundtracks... recently, too!

To go back to the original post in this thread, I've been playing the Pet Shop Boys new album quite a bit. Dunno how it did in the charts cos I haven't seen them lately but I'm guessing it must have made an appearance? Pretty sure the debut LP by an act with the same initials - Public Service Broadcasting - got in the charts.
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index