Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 16:42
Mrs Ahab wrote:

I don't know if there is enough pot in the world to make this enjoyable most likely not.My God that is a really bad song I made it about 15 seconds and he said Sylvia at least 15 times. wow just wow!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 17:31
I grew up on heavy rock/heavy metal and while I was never a massive Rainbow fan, I felt that what little they had evaporated with Since You Been Gone. I hated it then and it still makes me scrunge now.

Graham Bonnet. Why?

By the way, it's apparently the 82nd best hard rock song of all time according to VH1.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 17:39
Sep 15, 2013, 17:38
Charlie2300 wrote:

I take your 90% and raise to 95% - it is a sad indictment of humanity how vacuous the vast majority of 'dance music' has become; entire genres going down the plughole. There are one or two bright spots out there - for me, the retro hard acid label Obs.cur is worthy of acclaim.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Obs.Cur

Ah, thats a new one on me, will check it out, thanks. Retro is the future unfortunately it seems, as in lets get back to when it was good and then march on from there. I even wrote a quick PLUR era thing myself recently. https://soundcloud.com/alistairstray/stray-warm-sweat-flashback and was messing around with CR8000 drum samples https://soundcloud.com/alistairstray/stray-for-those-that-know

Talking of genres though Dub Techno is kind of improving recently, but there are still dozens of bad rip offs of M5 made every month, and there are certain (predictable) samples that seem to occur in the majority of tracks. Homogenisation, there be the problem basically.

All that said, Zouk can be pretty fucking amazing, even if most of it is downtempo moonbahton https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ENOsYMHiPCo

Oh and this netlabel is more good than patchy http://www.rumpfunk-records.net/
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 18:26
Negative vibes, man.
Sep 15, 2013, 18:26
I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I'd just like to say that I don't enjoy threads like these as they tend to be very negative.

I've had to grit my teeth not to get involved in any "they aren't crap" - "yes they are" type arguments, particularly as many of the bands mentioned are ones that I like.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 18:28
Yeah but not half as bad as the version by Head East. Yucko!

Did you know it was written by a Zombie? Russ Ballard -- or I think he was in the Zombies or at least Argent anyways...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Negative vibes, man.
Sep 15, 2013, 18:30
Again, one man's trash is another man's treasure really. Hey well I think everyone's cool here even though I disagree with some on what's music and what isn't...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 18:47
Lawrence wrote:
Again, one man's trash is another man's treasure really. Hey well I think everyone's cool here even though I disagree with some on what's music and what isn't...

I know that, but I don't enjoy threads which go for the negative side. Just sayin.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 19:05
Although I know what you mean, music should be make you Feel Something.

The tunes mentioned in this thread are notable because, for each of the posters (from their own perspective), the tracks make them feel like spitting, or screaming. I reckon that's healthy, meself, otherwise everyone agrees with everything in a kind of soporific, blando-world of warm glows and general fuzziness. No - music should transport you somewhere, or make you want to dance, or cry, or smile. It shouldn't make you want to jam rusty corkscrews in your ears. It's got to be a good thing that the people who post on here won't settle for any old tosh, they want better. They may not agree on what "better" actually is, but the need is there. We should celebrate that, in my opinion.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 19:22
We were indeed there and when Stevie did "I just called..." we, like everyone around us just chatted through it, or got a spliff going, opened a can, went for a piss etc.

It was the set-list official piss/skin up/get a beer break really.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 19:23
Squid Tempest wrote:
I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I'd just like to say that I don't enjoy threads like these as they tend to be very negative.

I've had to grit my teeth not to get involved in any "they aren't crap" - "yes they are" type arguments, particularly as many of the bands mentioned are ones that I like.

I would tend to agree, and it's clear that the shit-list wasn't really what the thread as about anyway. Maybe it's that sense of catharsis that leads to these purges.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index