Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
"Fido's Blues" - The Black Sheep Busking Tour Road movie.

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: "Fido's Blues" - The Black Sheep Busking Tour Road movie.
Jul 16, 2013, 00:21
With a few notable exceptions - Live Japan 91, half of Too Freud To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Jung To Die, Donor Thekla and Queen Elizabeth Hall - Julian is not one for live recordings.

The above list only features one Julian Cope show and two of the others are notable for being first performances (and only performance in one case). It seems that a live recording needs to have something special attached to it, to be useful in some way. For the same reasons, I think it was always unlikely that the footage of the Busking Tour would be released as a prosaic document of what happened.

Fido's Blues is not prosaic.

Moon Cat has accurately described the visuals and audio, but I wanted to add a few observations on top of that. I've watched this latest incarnation of the film a few times (it's been slowly evolving) and I find it very stirring. It reinforces the point of the Busking Tour and the broader messages of the Black Sheep. It's also a good example of how the Black Sheep vehicle allows for the realisation of ideas, where the final outcome is far removed from the original notion.

Those who wanted a faithful account of the Busking Tour because they missed it (or because they were there) may be disappointed, but I really don't think that was ever likely. It is a record of a hugely enjoyable three days, but it's more than that now and the better for it.

I am awed by the effort Fido has put into this and it deserves a wider audience. That may happen in the none-too-distant future.
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 16, 2013, 15:21
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Coo!

I've long wondered if some of our non UK HH chums, understandably unfamiliar with some of the idioms of old school Brit comics like "The Beano" and "The Dandy and so on, have ever queried why as to why Squid keeps missing the "L" off "Cool!". 8^)

Glarp!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 17, 2013, 14:43
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing this - especially since reading the mojo article in which the directors describe some of the "behind the scene shit" that Fido X refers to, I'd given up hope that it was ever going to materialise in any form at all.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 17, 2013, 17:59
wychburyman wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Coo!

I've long wondered if some of our non UK HH chums, understandably unfamiliar with some of the idioms of old school Brit comics like "The Beano" and "The Dandy and so on, have ever queried why as to why Squid keeps missing the "L" off "Cool!". 8^)

Glarp!

I reckon that would put bums on seats or shift some units if that appeared as a quote on a poster of movies!

Glarp! 5 stars.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2013, 20:23
Jul 17, 2013, 18:04
Well put! And, as if by timely coincidence, following the recent intrigue around Ben Wheatley's "A Field in England", there's something of a disorientating cross-over in that and "Fido's Blues" (sans dialogue), especially with regard to an olde worlde, mystic Englishness being caught on occasion.

If Julian ever got back into making promo vids, I think Ben Wheately directing the Black Sheep out of their faces on mushrooms in olde Albion somewhere is the way to go!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 17, 2013, 20:50
This sounds great!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index