Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Your Favourite Small Venue (UK)
May 23, 2013, 21:24
The Hidden Corner wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Davey_B wrote:
Not sure about their definition of a small venue. The Concorde 2 in Brighton is not in my opinion in any way, shape or form a small venue.

If they wanted a small but excellent venue in Brighton then the Prince Albert would have been my choice.

This is the NME, so I'm guessing they mean if it holds less than 60% of Kanye West's audience it's considered a pisshole.

Definitely agree about the King Albert. I've been to the Concorde 2 countless times because, a) it's right on my doorstep, and b) they always seem to draw the best acts, but I don't know what it is about that place but the acoustics do tend to sound a bit washed-out for some reason unbeknownst to my sonically-ignorant self.

Out of Brighton, I'd vote for the Blind Tiger Club.

Agree with all the above - some sort of Brighton loyalty made me consider voting for Concorde 2 but I don't like the place very much - as others have noted, it's not that small a venue and it's not particularly comfortable - although we're still lucky to have it. I also like the Prince Albert and Blind Tiger Club (even though ceiling is absurdly low it has loads of character). Also like The Green Door Store - a very unique venue and definitely small.

While we're being Brighton-centric, I'd definitely go for the Prince Albert. Great beer, great sound, great bar staff, and a John Peel mural on the outside wall!

Blind Tiger is nice and loud, but the draught beer is often dodgy, the bar staff are grumpy and the toilets can be a right state. So less keen.

Very fond of the Concorde, but as has been pointed out, it's hardly small.

I used to go to the Hebden Bridge Trades loads back in the day; promoted gigs there, played there in various bands. It's a bit more boutique now isn't it? Seems very trendy. I remember booking a girl punk band from Detroit there called Inside Out, and all these travellers tried to get in without paying (and you really strictly had to be a member back then too). It turned into a riot, the police turned up mob-handed with dogs, the band were cowering in their dressing room... I was all of 18 at the time, co-promoting with my 16-year-old sister. Them were the days...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index