IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 08, 2013, 10:49
Re: Yoko's Meltdown
Apr 08, 2013, 09:57
jazzer wrote:
DAVIS TOOP......

Thinks of all the musicians, composers and artists Yoko One might have included in her Meltdown if she were being more truthful to her own life, showing more faith in the ideas and actions that got her to a point of being a natural choice to curate a Meltdown. Perhaps then it might indeed be a meltdown as opposed to a barely perceptibly warmish stable state.

I think that's a sign of the times - for the Meltdown concept, for the finances of the South Bank Centre for the state of the Art Rock touring industry in general. Everyone with something to lose is going for the safe centre when there is any risk involved.

SBC have taken a major bath on shows like Hal Wilner's Freedom Riders which had a very decent line up of singing talent (inc Eliza Carthy, Antony without Johnsons, Billy Bragg, Martin Carthy, Peggy Seeger, Tim Robbins, Nona Hendryx) and a killer band but was barely a third full. You would think the concept alone would have sold 2000 tickets.

The South Bank should let someone like John Zorn loose on Meltdown and focus on the two smaller venues rather than stuff that is going to have a chance of filling the RFH. Either that or just sell the whole kit and kaboodle to Live Nation, let them brand it with a mainstream name act and be done with it. Chris Rea's Meltdown? Lighthouse Family's Meltdown? Will.I.Am's Meltdown? I can hardly wait.

Unsung Forum Index