Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Girl Groups - what's Essential/contingent?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Girl Groups - what's Essential/contingent?
Mar 26, 2013, 22:03
Having just got into listening to the recent Ronettes compi Be My Baby
I'm just wondering what other compis of similar era material are worth looking out for.

I have a pretty decent Shangrilas set so not sure if I need anything else by them, did hear that Myrmidons of Melodrama is pretty good though.

So looking for more of that early/mid 60s Girl group sound. any pointers?

Stevo
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Girl Groups - what's Essential/contingent?
Mar 26, 2013, 22:48
I probably listen to more of this stuff than a roomful of gay guys.

One Kiss Leads to Another is probably the ultimate multi-disc girl group statement.

For Britain, give Pye Girls are Go and Let's Go! Joe Meek's Girls a try, the latter featuring England's answer to Egyptian Shumba (posted on t'other forum), Dumb Head. Love that space bass. My favourite Limey Girl Group, though, are the utterly dreamy Caravelles. If you can find a version of the You Don't Have To Be a Baby to Cry comp with added tracks you'll see what I mean. Here's the title track.

Been getting into a couple of great Polish Girl Groups lately. If you can find anything by Alibabki and Filipinki, they add an ineffable Polish brassy folk quality to all the bubblegum.

Oh one really cool group who merged trad Girl Group sounds with a Renaissancey folk style were The Cake. One of their members had crippling epilepsy, so in the dance routines she'd just stand there all catatonic while the other two danced around her. Let me find one of those bizarre clips... You Can Have Him. I have their first two albums and just sequenced out the boring brassy rnb belters and kept in the baroque folk and pop trax.

There are those Girls With Guitars comps which are slightly more rockified.

A perfect LP is The Paris Sisters Sing Everything Under the Sun produced by Jack Nitzche (who hated them, I think. I remember reading a long story that involved something to do with a sticker put on his shiny new car). The best songs were the ones written by the Paris Sisters themselves.

Comps of the Shirelles, Marcie Blane, Ronettes, The Cookies, Chordettes etc. wouldn't hurt.

DEFINITELY get into Ye-Ye. It's one of my favourite things in the world. Can't get enough of it. The France Gall comp Poupee De Cire is bubblegummy perfection, but there were so many other catchy nymphs with psychedelic kazoo guitars, too. Christine Delaroche, Chantal Kelly, Adele, Sylvie Vartan, that girl who was in the Godard film, uh, Chantal Goya. Clothilde might be my favourite. She has about 8 or 9 perfect pop songs.

Um, there are a bunch of Thai Girl Group comps out there, particularly the Thai Pop Spectacular comps. Recently got an even bubblegummier Asian GG comp called Singapore a Go Go. Nippon Girls is a great one covering the Japanese scene. For Spain there's a bunch of good ones called things like Chicas Ye-Ye. I don't know, I might leave it there, as almost every country has a bubblegummy girl group comp or five to their name.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Mar 26, 2013, 22:53
Mar 26, 2013, 22:51
Stevo wrote:
I'm just wondering what other compis of similar era material are worth looking out for.

I have a pretty decent Shangrilas set so not sure if I need anything else by them, did hear that Myrmidons of Melodrama is pretty good though.

Stevo

Most essential are the 2 Destroy That Boy compilations, you'll get loads from those. Also utterly essential is the Chicas comp from a couple of years ago - quite possibly one of the best albums I own full stop.

Those 3 are a good start, let me know if you want more. Sin Agog will no doubt be full of ideas when he sees your post too.

EDIT- I see Sin was already on the case :)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 26, 2013, 23:39
:D What can I say, I'm in touch with my feminine side. Very in touch.

There's a pretty fun little Guardian list I accidentally discovered just now that's worth reading: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/jul/13/thetenclassicgirlgroups

Also I shouldn't forget Dolly Mixture! Not technically an O.G. girl group, but utterly essential nonetheless. A comp featuring everything they ever recorded, Everything & More, came out a couple of years back. One of my most-played bands. Here's a less perky but really beautiful cut by them: Whistling in The Dark.
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Mar 28, 2013, 21:07
Contingent:
All the stuff you've never heard.

Essential:
Phil Spector: "Back To Mono"
Monolithic box set of genius productions by fallen boy genius. Includes the wayward genius that is The Crystals' "He Hit Me And it Felt Like a Kiss":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20Oz9Yr_So
...and many others. Roots of Ramones. (Ask Phil Ramone!)

The Shagri-Las: "Myrmidons of Melodrama"
All you need. Three great gals, one tasty compi. Highest recommendation.

The Whyte Boots: "Nightmare"
Fucvking classic wrecked take on "Leader Of The Pack":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_6pE-r0g0

Martha & The Vandellas: "Dancing In The Street."
Revolutionary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhbM2mqhCQ

Oh, and don't forget The Supremes. Consistently derailed the Moptops' in the Number One singles train. Besides, a song of theirs was covered by a group on Some Bizarre, Stevo(!) (Are you him?) For that (and looking like Alice Cooper sometimes) I love Diana Ross forever.

Hermanas Bení­tez: "Corazón de Melón"
Interesting Cuban girl group. Pre-Castro. Cha cha cha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrSExWmTdho

I'd second The Paris Sisters. Witness their version of "Dream Lover" as used in Kenneth Anger's "Kustom Kar Kommandos (Davie Allan on session guitar. Right on.):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM3Hs-nPxgU

Speaking of Davie Allan in session guitar, there's a great version of "Leader of the Pack" on this album by The Buddies & The Compacts." It's the whole album but you can skip to about 3:30. "Is she really going out with him...?" (cue "New Rose"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmpooNIDrM

The Carry Nations: "Find It."
More Shocking Blue than strictly "girl group" and bit of an outlier. But they're women (I think), it rocks (I know!) and you should hear it or there's something wrong with you. ('In a scene like this you get a contact high.' Whoa!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcnJe2kKc8

Then there's the "Girls In The Garage" series. Only ever heard the first 2 volumes as I'm not a con-o-sewer of this stuff but...it's got it's moments. Wall of Sound done on a shoestring -- or a couple bricks from said wall tied together with a shoestring, more like!

OK, Stevo: now go get non-contingent on this slop!

Stevo wrote:

Stevo
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 15:31
Hello, long time no post !

Here's a favourite of mine that's been getting a caning on the car stereo of late ( excuse the advert )...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo5gvv_evie-s-just-can-t-let-go_shortfilms#.UVWwH67I_-Q

Not a girl group as such but it does have that sound. My copy's on the Rhino comp Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 1. Both it and Volume 2 are highly recommended if you're looking for compilations of the hits from some of the better known groups on the scene. I'm guessing you might be after something more obscure though !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:02
Good to 'see' you!

How're you diddlin'?
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:53
Hi Moonie, not so bad*, thanks for asking, and i hope you're well too.

*Er, unfortunately i'm working nights over the long Easter weekend so kinda feel i'm missing out on all the fun. Mind you, only 3 shifts to do so i shouldn't really complain, roll on Monday morning !

As i've said before, i really should have paid more attention at school.

Grumpy of Watford.

More positively, really looking forward to watching the Mahavishnu concert that Spencer (thanks for the heads-up) posted about a few days back though, looks fab from the 10 minutes or so i watched this afternoon. Can't really get into it at the moment with work looming though.

Have a great weekend yourself, fingers crossed there are photo opportunities a-plenty, and if music's involved at any point, that the bands / artists hit the sweet spot !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 20:21
bubblehead2 wrote:

Have a great weekend yourself, fingers crossed there are photo opportunities a-plenty, and if music's involved at any point, that the bands / artists hit the sweet spot !

Same to you (under the circumstances!) x
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 13, 2017, 08:39
Stevo wrote:

Stevo

Have a butchers at this, Stevo.

https://shop.realgonemusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/honeybeat-lp-cd-bundle
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index