Albums that deserve a second chance

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 24, 2013, 21:47
Nice. Is there still an available link to your article Hunter?
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 21:54
Moon Cat wrote:
Well, I was more responding to Spencer's cheeky comment, but one does get the impression that a lot of hair was cut and records hidden in Swiss Bank Vaults while the harsh eye of the Punk Polit Bureau was on the case. It's always been a something of a bug-bear/source of amusement to me, depending on what mood I'm in, that something born of a desire for freedom of expression didn't take very long to add its own set of rules and restrictions. Robyn Hitchcock wrote a really good thing on it somewhere in the midsts of time.

Erm, was it something like this:

"We were a band, like many groups, that developed and went into the public eye around punk, and I suppose some people kind of slid through the new wave and punk customs and immigration with greater ease than others. Looking back, you can see that the Soft Boys belonged with Squeeze and XTC and Elvis Costello as being sort of second-generation Beatles kids really, that’s what we all were. But the others managed to establish new wave credentials; they got through, and we got turned back at the border. We had to sneak round the outside.”

“Punk became very Stalinist very quickly. There were only so many things that you could like. Only three bands existed before 1976, the Velvet Underground, the Stooges and the MC5. I loved the Velvet Underground, but almost all the people that we loved, particularly the Beatles, were blacklisted. You were not gonna get through with three-part harmonies and guitar solos, no son."

...As told to me and published on the Stool Pigeon website, November 2011?

I'll get my trumpet...
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 21:59
vince wrote:
Nice. Is there still an available link to your article Hunter?

Since you ask:

http://thequietus.com/articles/03161-30-years-on-david-bowie-s-lodger-comes-in-from-the-cold
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 22:34
spencer wrote:
Um, um, er..stammer..M-m-mike Oldfield - Ommadawn ..... Van Morrison - Hard Nose The Highway ..... Holger Czukay - On the Way To The Peak Of Normal ..... Neil Young - Hawks and Doves ..... Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning..A Journey From Eden .... Spirit - Future Games

Future Games??? My favourite Spirit album ever, how come it needed a 2nd chance? Similarly with Holger...
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 23:10
Jan 24, 2013, 22:56
FG's my favourite album, full stop. Some people just don't get it, though, as Paradox says.....three stars out of five is two too few. Amazon now give it five, but time was when it was less, and it still gets 3.5/5 on Rate Your Music. As far as I'm concerned it's a masterwork. As for Holger, that album never gets a mention, it's always Movies. I realise availability may be a problem but do recall that it wasn't greeted with the same enthusiasm as its predecessor on release.
Brik
586 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 23:19
Jan 24, 2013, 23:18
Here's me spleen...

Patti Smith Group - Wave - My only real issue with this is that not all of it aged entirely gracefully.

The Damned - Phantasmagoria / Anything - There's no Captain, but without this tongue-in-cheek Madness soundtracking Hammer Horror period I can't help but feel there'd be a bit of a hole.

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Rapture - Some of the commercial elements grate a bit, but Sick Child, Fall From Grace and the title track redeem it in spades. I'll also nominate Join Hands. Ignore The Lord's Prayer and it's a wonderful slice o bile.

Kate Bush - Director's Cut - Deeper Understanding was a baaaaad choice of single. Much of the Sensual World stuff was fine, but the Red Shoes tracks are leaps and bounds ahead of the original issue. It's quite lovely!

Brain Donor - Drain'd Boner - More than just noise! Well maybe not, but after a couple of casual spins it can really grab you.

The Cure - Faith - I think this was when they seemed to begin mimicking their peers (esp. The Banshees - anyone else pick up on that?), but oddly enough I find the old grey and dour to be less pretentious than something like Disintegration.

The Creatures (more Siouxsie!) - Boomerang - It's actually an incredible album, just surprisingly difficult to come by.

Tom Waits - Alice - I'm going off the small pilgrimage I embarked on just to find the bleeding thing. It'd be a nice soundtrack to some colourful skewed Burton-esque world like Big Fish and works as a solid 'concept' album.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 23:52
Yes, the 2nd paragraph bit in particular.

Soz, didn't know it was a piece by you interviewing him. I just vaguely remembered reading something that struck a chord (glarp!) by him in relation to the Ponkness.

Good work you n' all!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:07
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
spencer wrote:
I think your Peel recollection is pretty much verbatim, Keith. He didn't rave in favour, but did play them when there were plenty of alternatives..and his comments about them at Glasto did come across as a bit of track covering.

If that was the Yes at Glasto 2004 gig BTW, it was an utterly splendid and joyous thing and the atmos was fantastic.

Actually, if it was that gig, Peel died but months later. Maybe he shouldn't've watched Yes?

Just googled it and Yes played Glastonbury 2003. I thought we were talking about a festival appearance not long after Peel played something off Tormato. Seems a bit harsh to criticise him in this case seeing it was 25 years later. That's an awful long time to expect his opinion not to change.

It's a bit like Cope no longer being into Scott, except that Peel going off Yes displayed better taste than Cope going off Scott. IMO and all that palaver! ; )

Yes, it was 2003 Yes, my goof, a year out. Twas awesome though (no winky emoticon cos it just was). Cant believe it was that long ago. I, by the way, am not, and have not criticised J Peel for changing his tune, although the Ponk revisionists, who lest we forget are now as old (if not older), in relative terms, as the dinosaurs they wished to supplant, have had a remarkably easy ride of critical consensus over the decades.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:24
Brik wrote:

The Damned - Phantasmagoria / Anything - There's no Captain, but without this tongue-in-cheek Madness soundtracking Hammer Horror period I can't help but feel there'd be a bit of a hole.

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Rapture - Some of the commercial elements grate a bit, but Sick Child, Fall From Grace and the title track redeem it in spades. I'll also nominate Join Hands. Ignore The Lord's Prayer and it's a wonderful slice o bile.

Kate Bush - Director's Cut - Deeper Understanding was a baaaaad choice of single. Much of the Sensual World stuff was fine, but the Red Shoes tracks are leaps and bounds ahead of the original issue. It's quite lovely!

Brain Donor - Drain'd Boner - More than just noise! Well maybe not, but after a couple of casual spins it can really grab you.

I have love for all of those items, especially a new-found re-love for Drain'd Bonor.

Never heard The Creatures "Boomerang" though. Is that the Spanish influenced one?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:32
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Flick of the Switch -AC/DC
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index