Albums that deserve a second chance

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 24, 2013, 17:04
spencer wrote:
I think your Peel recollection is pretty much verbatim, Keith. He didn't rave in favour, but did play them when there were plenty of alternatives..and his comments about them at Glasto did come across as a bit of track covering.

If that was the Yes at Glasto 2004 gig BTW, it was an utterly splendid and joyous thing and the atmos was fantastic.

Actually, if it was that gig, Peel died but months later. Maybe he shouldn't've watched Yes?
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 17:30
Jan 24, 2013, 17:30
The subject of Yes came up at last night's session. I won't divulge which band member said it, for fear of reprisals or whatever... But here's a quote: "Yeah, Yes were great musicians and all that, but they only played the gay notes."

I might add, he was rather spannered.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 17:31
Kid Calamity wrote:
The subject of Yes came up at last night's session. I won't divulge which band member said it, for fear of reprisals or whatever... But here's a quote: "Yeah, Yes were great musicians and all that, but they only played the gay notes."

I might add, he was rather spannered.

Was it 'Robot'?
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 17:34
Erm... Yes.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 17:36
Kid Calamity wrote:
Erm... Yes.

Elementary my dear Watson.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 18:06
Jan 24, 2013, 18:05
Orbital - The Altogether.

This is often regarded as the runt of the litter in Orbital's pretty consistent body of work - they had a pretty strong run of albums -if you like that sort of thing, which I do. "The Altogether" does have some patchy moments but I don't think it's a bad album at all. I'd say a lot of the material is as inventive and entertaining as anything they did elsewhere, plus it's got their take on the Dr. Who theme on it. Maybe the presence of Mr Wobbly-Head David Gray results in demerits for some (he's their cousin you know). I actually like the track he sings on meself and I like this album too.
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 18:23
Moon Cat wrote:
spencer wrote:
I think your Peel recollection is pretty much verbatim, Keith. He didn't rave in favour, but did play them when there were plenty of alternatives..and his comments about them at Glasto did come across as a bit of track covering.

If that was the Yes at Glasto 2004 gig BTW, it was an utterly splendid and joyous thing and the atmos was fantastic.

Actually, if it was that gig, Peel died but months later. Maybe he shouldn't've watched Yes?

Just googled it and Yes played Glastonbury 2003. I thought we were talking about a festival appearance not long after Peel played something off Tormato. Seems a bit harsh to criticise him in this case seeing it was 25 years later. That's an awful long time to expect his opinion not to change.

It's a bit like Cope no longer being into Scott, except that Peel going off Yes displayed better taste than Cope going off Scott. IMO and all that palaver! ; )
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 18:30
Jan 24, 2013, 18:30
Fanatstic Voyage may be about the frst track by him I got into myself. Picked it up on a single in the turn of the 80s or late 70s.
My Brother had been a major Bowie fan but I don't think I'd picked up on anything before that.

Also love that Deram Anthology which is basically an expansion on the Images material.

& thinking about things from roughly the same era and possibly similar style I love Blaze! the psychedelic era lp by Herman's Hermits. Stone Roses always reminded me of that lp melodically, wonder if it has anything to do with a shared geographical location?

Also Donovan's psychedelic lps are great, just reminded cos Blaze! has a cover of his museum on. Not sure how unsung he is though.

& tangentially, reminded of the solo Bob Mould tour from '89 which was great, recordings of that which has him with a rhythm section of Anton Fier & Tony Maimone are worth searching out. Not sure how sung they are , it relates to the Workbook lp but that was a lot more acoustic. Live was electric.

Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 19:07
Moon Cat wrote:
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules.

"Voodoo" stands out for me as does the devastatingly monstrous riff of "Sign of The Southern Cross", which is basically Godzilla's DNA in music form.
So "Mob Rules" isn't, IMO, the poor cousin to the previous album and it was a pleasure and privilege to hear these tunes do what turned out to be a lap of honour when they were toured under the "Heaven & Hell" banner prior to Dio's passing. "Mob Rules" rules! m/

Oh that is a really great record. The Sign of the "Southern Cross" / "Heaven & Hell" medley on the Dio era live album is also an absolute corker.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Jan 24, 2013, 21:38
dave clarkson wrote:
David Bowie - Lodger.
Not as keen on this one as the other two in the so called Berlin trilogy (though think only heroes was recorded at hansa).
Been giving Lodger another go in last few weeks. Bit of an improvement on how i remember it from last listen.

8)

A couple of years ago I wrote a lengthy re-assessment of Lodger for the Quietus. In all the hubbub around Bowie's recent return to the fray, word was passed to me that apparently Bowie had read my piece and appreciated what I wrote.

Sorry, any excuse to mention this at the moment and I will!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index