Albums that deserve a second chance

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 23, 2013, 16:40
Uriah Heep - Head First.

In recent times the Heep have, somewhat amazingly, produced a couple of pretty blinding albums, especially the awesome "Wake the Sleeper". However, previously in the 80's they had something of a second wind, albeit an enthusiastic woosh more than whirlwind. The album Abominog, the first of a trilogy with singer Pete Goalby, which mixed Heep pomp with pop-rock catchiness, although sounding of it's time now, actually gave Heep a lift and some commercial clout again. However, it's the follow up "Head First" I like more. There are less outside-writers and the material is more cohesive for it, being a collection of often very heavy, but still catchy, riff-laden rockers. Some tip top Heep Rock on this album IMO (Actually, I need to get this on CD as my vinyl is a bit battered now!)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 16:48
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Cat Stevens 'Catch Bull At Four' and 'Foreigner'

Julian Cope 'My Nation Underground'
The Jam 'This Is The Modern World'
CSNY 'Four Way Street'
Tim Buckley 'Lorca' and 'Sefronia'
Kiss 'Rock and Roll Over', 'Dynasty' and 'Unmasked'
Jethro Tull 'A Passion Play'
Television 'Adventure'
Patto 'Roll 'Em, Smoke 'Em, Put Another Line Out'
Van Morrison 'Common One' and 'A Period Of Transition'
Public Image Ltd 'Paris au Printemps'
Buzzcocks 'A Different Kind Of Tension'
Lou Reed 'Sally Can't Dance'

Great list. There are a few overlooked Lou lps that could be brought in but not so much "Growing Up In Public"!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 17:23
The Velvet Underground - Loaded.

Maybe it suffers in comparison to earlier albums by not being by THEE Velvet Underground, but it's a pretty cool album nevertheless.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 18:03
Jan 23, 2013, 18:01
[quote="Moon Cat"]Yes - Tormato.

Seemingly occupying the realm of the unloved amongst many Yes fans, but I enjoy it myself. Ok, it doesn't hit the magisterial heights of "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile", but I'm fond of it, especially as it has "Don't Kill the Whale" on it, which is a TUNE!

Good call. And it includes 'On The Silent Wings Of Freedom', which is my all time favourite Yessong. Squire's relentless bass never ceases to send shivers down my spine.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 18:04
Another good call! 'Sweet Talk' is a classic.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 18:16
Well I do remember "It's My Life" was a good song.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 18:21
Moon Cat wrote:
The Velvet Underground - Loaded.

Maybe it suffers in comparison to earlier albums by not being by THEE Velvet Underground, but it's a pretty cool album nevertheless.

To which category I would have to add the prog-lite Level Headed by (The) Sweet. It is a Sweet album in name and line-up but no one who bought the earlier singles would recognise them in this guise.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 19:10
David Bowie - Lodger.
Not as keen on this one as the other two in the so called Berlin trilogy (though think only heroes was recorded at hansa).
Been giving Lodger another go in last few weeks. Bit of an improvement on how i remember it from last listen.

8)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 20:05
Moon Cat wrote:
Yes - Tormato.

Seemingly occupying the realm of the unloved amongst many Yes fans, but I enjoy it myself. Ok, it doesn't hit the magisterial heights of "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile", but I'm fond of it, especially as it has "Don't Kill the Whale" on it, which is a TUNE!

Magnum - The Eleventh Hour.

Seen as an also-ran in the canon of the terminally unfashionable Brummie Pompsters, sandwiched as it is between the mighty "Chase the Dragon & "On a Storyteller's Night", I love some of the songs on this. It's relegation to 'meh'gnum status seems to be as a result of its stodgy (self) production, which indeed doesn't serve some of the songs well. But, as a collection of pomp-rockness, The Eleventh Hour has some top tunes I think!

Should I try Tormato then, or do you think I might recoil with Yesnobbishness?
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 20:05
IanB wrote:
Adolescent Sex - Japan
Other than Generation X and maybe Heavy Metal Kids, Japan were easily the most derided majorish band of my youth until they were rehabilitiated by Paul Morley and The Face circa Gentlemen Take Polaroids. First album? No fretless bass or cod oriental touches. It's Diamond-Dogs-goes-disco with long BOC style guitar solos, Lou/ Velvets urban sleeze and decadent silliness. What's not to like? At sixteen it was unimprovable and then I didn't listen to it for maybe 20 years. Coming back to it was thrilling. If only Low had sounded this great.

Good call. It's dated beautifully too.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index