Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 23, 2013, 15:48
Technical Ecstacy by Black Sabbath.

Only really purchased it and Never Say Die to have the full set of Ozzy-era Sabbath albums. Hardly listened to it for years. Until recently. Hearing Dirty Women, Gypsie and Rock n Roll Doctor on various bootlegs from the last days of Sabbath made me revist Technichal Ecstacy and I have to say its a fucker. Not quite up there with the previous 6 Sabbath records, but still bloody good. and it's got two robots shagging on an escalator on the cover. What more could you want?
Repossessed
79 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:49
Even in the first two albums there are moments of melancholic brilliance which, in my opinion, make TT stand apart from new romantic contemporaries. And "The Colour of Spring" remains a fantastic record. But "Spirit of Eden" is a different thing altogether.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:51
bloody hell! Didn't realise there was a third album. Must check it out.
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:53
bauheed wrote:
bloody hell! Didn't realise there was a third album. Must check it out.

Yeah, came out in '92, though really it sounds like it could have been recorded a year or two after Adventure.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:55
bauheed wrote:
Technical Ecstacy by Black Sabbath.

Only really purchased it and Never Say Die to have the full set of Ozzy-era Sabbath albums. Hardly listened to it for years. Until recently. Hearing Dirty Women, Gypsie and Rock n Roll Doctor on various bootlegs from the last days of Sabbath made me revist Technichal Ecstacy and I have to say its a fucker. Not quite up there with the previous 6 Sabbath records, but still bloody good. and it's got two robots shagging on an escalator on the cover. What more could you want?

It is certainly a sleeper and they were pretty brilliant on that UK tour too.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:55
Seb wrote:
Sorry, it's all gone a bit 'early Scorps' in this house this week.

Virgin Killer?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:57
I like that too. Some great stuff on it.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 15:59
Jan 23, 2013, 15:59
Oh, loads: Love's 'Four Sail', which only gets slagged off for not being as good as the classic line-up's three preceding albums, but fergawd's sake, what COULD be that good? On its own terms, it's a cracker. And The Damned's perennially unsung (even by the artists) second album 'Music For Pleasure', which contains some absolutely killer riff-driven songs and sounds much more balanced and listenable to my ears than their overrated first LP.

I always dig The Doors' 'The Soft Parade' which, whilst lacking the out and out intensity of their other Morrison-era LPs, makes up with a cracking, brass-driven verve.

Other non-"classic" LPs that regularly get my pleasure glands flowing are

The Incredible String Band 'I Looked Up', 'U' and 'Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air'
Cat Stevens 'Catch Bull At Four' and 'Foreigner'
Julian Cope 'My Nation Underground'
The Jam 'This Is The Modern World'
CSNY 'Four Way Street'
Tim Buckley 'Lorca' and 'Sefronia'
Kiss 'Rock and Roll Over', 'Dynasty' and 'Unmasked'
Jethro Tull 'A Passion Play'
Happy Mondays 'Squirrel and G Man Plastic Face Carnt Smile White Out'
Soft Machine 'Fifth', 'Sixth', 'Seven', 'Bundles' and 'Softs'
Caravan 'Blind Dog At St Dunstans', 'Better By Far', 'The Album', 'Back To Front' and 'The Battle Of Hastings'
Television 'Adventure'
Patto 'Roll 'Em, Smoke 'Em, Put Another Line Out'
Van Morrison 'Common One' and 'A Period Of Transition'
Public Image Ltd 'Paris au Printemps'
Buzzcocks 'A Different Kind Of Tension'
Lou Reed 'Sally Can't Dance'

I could go on...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 16:31
Jan 23, 2013, 16:23
Yes - Tormato.

Seemingly occupying the realm of the unloved amongst many Yes fans, but I enjoy it myself. Ok, it doesn't hit the magisterial heights of "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile", but I'm fond of it, especially as it has "Don't Kill the Whale" on it, which is a TUNE!

Magnum - The Eleventh Hour.

Seen as an also-ran in the canon of the terminally unfashionable Brummie Pompsters, sandwiched as it is between the mighty "Chase the Dragon & "On a Storyteller's Night", I love some of the songs on this. It's relegation to 'meh'gnum status seems to be as a result of its stodgy (self) production, which indeed doesn't serve some of the songs well. But, as a collection of pomp-rockness, The Eleventh Hour has some top tunes I think!
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 16:30
Jan 23, 2013, 16:26
Eep.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index