Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Re: HMV about to enter adminastration!
Jan 15, 2013, 18:44
Kid Calamity wrote:
Maybe now, those little record shops will return.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8822000/8822115.stm

And what's more it's come back without the dance/rave music that filled one side of the shop back in the nineties ... other side of the shop was indie ... unfortunately that side hasn't made the transition either ... but if it had I s'pose it'd be all that corporate use of the term as genre label for product anyhow.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: HMV - an alternative view
Jan 15, 2013, 21:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
I see our own Seb Hunter has just posted on Facebook about what a sad day this is for music retailing, and one of the replies he's received is:

"You wouldn't say that if you'd ever had the misfortune of working for those pricks. They didn't even give you a morning break, the tight c***s. Fuck 'em."

My cousin worked at HMV for a few years but quit last year as she hated it so much - and she had got a promotion a year or two before that. The problem was the money wasn't much more but the stress, responsibility and work load was disproportionately higher as far as I can tell. But she had the luxury of living rent free in London with her mum and found a job.

I haven't had time to scroll through the thread but obviously the sadness here is the thought of another 4000+ unemployed (and presumably many of whom like music and want to work in music - e.g. Jimmy Teeth of the Sea who works at Oxford St), and then the fact it's an iconic music retailer (all be it one that I suspect many of us used less and less).

A colleague of mine who lives out near Staines lamented the fact he'd no longer be able to pop to Staines HMV to pick up a DVD - there's nowhere for him to go to buy a film in the spur of the moment. Which reminded me of a newspaper article I read recently about the cost of British trains - you can no longer romantically go to a station and hop on a train somewhere, you have to book over a month in advance to be affordable! I'm probably digressing but all a sad indictment of the times...
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 00:04
you are all overlooking the most salient point to all this - i had a £10 gift card that i can no longer spend 8o(
espsummer
340 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 07:09
a very sad aspect about this is that when stores like Tower records and Borders shut their doors then the city that is hit with this also looses an incredible amount of product that filtered down to the used or independent record stores. When somone for example bought a Pearls Before Swine record in the cut out bin and didn't like it then it may end up as a used item in a used record store. Even when Borders was almost closed they still carried things like MFSL cds. The things we are left with like Target or Walmart will never stock such items and therefore unique things that could hit the used markets also disappear.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 08:31
I think he ended up as an engineer for BT. Lovely bloke. And anyway, if his life had turned out different Will might not have been born and I would never had written the Microscope Wilson classic 'Shoveltoe vs the Widge Criggler'. Everything happens fo a reason...
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2013, 08:35
Jan 16, 2013, 08:34
I applied to be a BT Engineering apprentice in 1981. You needed 4 'O' Levels, 1 of which had to be maths & 1 had to be a science.

I applied for about 40 apprenticeship jobs back in 1981...
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2013, 10:09
Jan 16, 2013, 10:09
Moon Cat wrote:
Chicken Shops. Tee hee. That made me grin.

In Hull there's a takeaway - sorry, chicken shop - called Khantucky Grilled Chicken.

Look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74067018@N08/8012361912/
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2013, 10:18
Jan 16, 2013, 10:18
Best of luck to him. He seems to have done his research and clearly knows the potential pitfalls to avoid. There are loads of bands around Derby, all producing CDs and needing to advertise gigs and festivals, so I hope he latches onto that local market potential, as well as capitalising on the national and bigger stuff.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 10:19
Gladwin wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Chicken Shops. Tee hee. That made me grin.

In Hull there's a takeaway - sorry, chicken shop - called Khantucky Grilled Chicken.

Look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74067018@N08/8012361912/

Hehehehe, I believe Khantucky is actually an area of Baluchistan close to the Iranian border. Yep, that looks like grilled chicken to me!
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Jan 16, 2013, 10:21
Can't remember where it was but a friend of mine recounts seeing one called 'Ken's Turkey and Fried Chicken', which is rather fun.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index