Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: HMV about to enter adminastration!
Jan 17, 2013, 11:00
Spaceship mark wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
ps I do feel sorry for whomever had the job of sticking all those 'blue cross' stickers on EVERYthing in HMV recently. Sheesh!

When I worked there this was the worst bit (see earlier post). You could 'oversticker' if the price was going down, but had to remove the old sticker if something was going up. Prices and offers used to change so often you were forever sticking and peeling, peeling and sticking, sticking and peeling... Then there were the 3for2s etc....

I remember all that from Our Price. At the Oxford Street shop there was a basement where all the stickering went on. This basement was stuffed full of aisle after aisle of vinyl - returns, excess stock, gawd knows - and was also equipped with a turntable. The stickering was a highly sought after occupation as you could browse this treasure trove & listen while peeling and stickerizing.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2013, 13:03
25% off... or is it?
Jan 20, 2013, 10:18
Post removed by author.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: 25% off... or is it?
Jan 20, 2013, 12:03
Fitter Stoke wrote:

And another thing: regarding HMV's refusal to honour their own gift vouchers, what could they do if you left a £10 voucher on the counter and openly walked out of the shop with goods of an equivalent value? Call the police? As far as I see it, there's a legal contract operating here that only HMV are breaking.

I think somebody did that in Dublin last week, before they physically closed all the HMVs across the country. Think he got away with it.

I've seen that the note that's up on the door on the Galway branch suggests getting back to credit card companies and attempting to get money back that way, but you have had to pay that way to do so.
I know somebody on my course has got stuck with a €50 token that he got for his birthday or Xmas. Really bad news.

Looks like the sit ins in Limerick, Tallaght etc have been successful. Or at least nominally, wages are supposed to be being paid off this week. Didn't hear if that was just up to date or if there was severance pay but would assume the former. Must be havoc for anybody who is financially tied to anything else who was expecting their weekly wage to be ongoing. Simple things like rent & food in coming weeks will be a pain, but I guess you can anticipate that. Or at least it presumably shouldn't need to be pointed out, probably happening more widespread these days but at least I would assume normally you'd have some kind of forewarning.

Stevo
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 12:13
The HMV shops in north east England all seem to be remaining open for the time being. In fact, the Sunderland one seemed to be trading normally yesterday with plenty of stock on the shelves - unsurprisingly, given the lack of bargains in evidence.

That said, I wonder if the Jesus & Mary Chain comp that I bought there yesterday will prove to be my last purchase at HMV? I'd like to think not.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 12:24
Did you ask them about that? There are laws regarding what you can call a sale price. (Although, I think the item only has to have been for sale at the full price for a period in the last month or two. Hence you used to find stuff not marked down in a shop when a sale was on.) Last thing they need is Trading Standards kicking their asses now.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 13:02
No I didn't ask, but I take your point about Trading Standards. I'll pull my post to avoid any further bother for them.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 13:08
Sad to hear about even more job losses but the writing's been on the wall for HMV for some time now, they've always been more expensive than the other entertainment shops on the high street, and I'm actually amazed they've survived this long. Their only saving grace has been their online store which has, at least, in some ways allowed them to compete with others such as Amazon etc
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 13:30
Captain Starlet wrote:
Their only saving grace has been their online store which has, at least, in some ways allowed them to compete with others such as Amazon etc

Yes, I'll miss their mail order. Well laid out and though pricey in the early days was less so in recent times.

As for bargains in the shops...well I got a few to be fair. I did buy a few two for a tenner sale items that were listed pre-administration but also got a few that with the 25% off were reasonably priced. That said there were a lot of items that were so expensive in the first place that even with the 25% off they could still be purchased much cheaper elsewhere. Still I was happy with the ones I did buy.
Ziggypop
Ziggypop
300 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 14:36
Stevo wrote:

but at least I would assume normally you'd have some kind of forewarning.

Stevo

If it's redundancy within a business that will continue it's the law that you are warned and your job is "put on risk" months before but that's not the case with administration, then the staff are the last to know. I talked to staff at Fopp a week before the blue cross sale started there and told them I thought they were going into administration and they had heard nothing..
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 14:47
Not what I meant. I meant noise them us and get the right price. You're a better man than me
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index