Unsung Forum »
The Return Of The Thin White Duke!

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

The Return Of The Thin White Duke!
Jan 08, 2013, 06:39
Hallelujuah -- I really thought maybe he had retired for good after his health scare and that fucker throwing that lollipop into his eye.

http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-website-album-single-and-video-birthday-boy-47841
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Re: The Return Of The Thin White Duke!
Jan 08, 2013, 07:04
Brilliant news!!
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 07:56
Made my day that has. Another must-have release to look forward to for this year, which is shaping up nicely.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 09:27
I heard the track on 6Music - And while it's a nice song, and all that... Can I be the one who says it sounds a bit... well... unexceptional? I really hope the rest of the forthcoming album has some pleasant surprises, though.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 09:40
Sounds more like he sat down at a piano and knocked off a couple of chord changes than had a killer melody fly into his head that he just had to make a song out of. Bland keyboard-string production as well. I've heard worse though, eh.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2013, 13:45
Jan 08, 2013, 09:41
Kid Calamity wrote:
I heard the track on 6Music - And while it's a nice song, and all that... Can I be the one who says it sounds a bit... well... unexceptional? I really hope the rest of the forthcoming album has some pleasant surprises, though.

Give it some more time KC. I liked it straightaway from that melancholic opening chord* which then weaved its way.

*a typical Terje Rypdal chord
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 11:23
I think it'll be a grower, a bit like Thursday's Child. I like the references to Berlin in the lyrics.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 11:28
Funnily enough, they were talking about whether the Bowster was gonna come out of his unofficial retirement on BBC 6 Music yesterday.

I'm with Sin, fairly pedestrian, sounds like a continuation of the overall feel of his last few albums TBH. Still, good to have the old duffer back.
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 11:47
bauheed wrote:
I think it'll be a grower, a bit like Thursday's Child. I like the references to Berlin in the lyrics.

Good call on Thursday Child, one that probably sounded unremrkable on early listens but really creeps up on you.

Anyway, I like the new track. Maybe it's a bit Bowie by numbers, maybe it's nothing remarkable, but I'm finding it hard to be objective. I like it's lush nature, and am loving hearing his voice again. I never thought I'd see a new Bowie track ever again and discovering that isn't the case has, well, warmed me cockles to Mediterranean heights.

I also like the fact that it's been kept secret. That's no mean achievement these days!
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 12:06
I was reading that Fripp interview in Mojo this morning and saw a photo with Tony Levin then hear this news and discover he's the bassist here. Nice synchronicity!
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index