Unsung Forum »
Vinyl article

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Vinyl article
Dec 30, 2012, 10:10
Not sure if this has been posted here but will be of interest to HHers. May be better posted in U-Know actually, but anyway:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/25/antidote-to-capitalism-33-revolutions-minute
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Re: Vinyl article
Dec 30, 2012, 13:14
Very good article - I am one of those who are increasingly returning to their old vinyl and buying some new vinyl (I wish it wasn't so expensive though). I think that the writer gets to the nub of the matter when he comments that the digital/online music phenomenum is resulting in short attention spans - in contrast playing a vinyl album results in greater commitment to listen to an entire album.

I've just enjoyed listening to the latest PiL album on vinyl - all 4 sides - I don't think I'd have reached the end if I had the CD. There's something about the gap between changing sides that gives me a choice of either deciding that's enough of that particular album or committing myself for the duration. My 18 year old son seems to have inherited this trait and actively seeks out vinyl by the (modern) bands that he listens to. Between the 2 of us we totally conform to the upper and lower ranges of the demographic suggested in the Guardian article.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Dec 30, 2012, 22:59
I would like to advocate 'cassettes' as they will be the it item of the coming year. I rescued several kilo's of cassettes & CD's from a Skip outside 361 Soho Rd, Handsworth B21 9SE. It was the old Roma Music place.

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/roma-music-bank-18671079.html
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Dec 31, 2012, 00:16
Dec 30, 2012, 23:07
The Hidden Corner wrote:

I've just enjoyed listening to the latest PiL album on vinyl - all 4 sides - I don't think I'd have reached the end if I had the CD. There's something about the gap between changing sides that gives me a choice of either deciding that's enough of that particular album or committing myself for the duration. My 18 year old son seems to have inherited this trait and actively seeks out vinyl by the (modern) bands that he listens to. Between the 2 of us we totally conform to the upper and lower ranges of the demographic suggested in the Guardian article.

You saying that kind of refers to one of the reasons why I like it when Copey produces his works in the bookleted and nicely packaged double CD format on occasion, despite it being apparent that the music would fit on one CD. I enjoy the 'double album' aspect of it, the sense of 'artefacts' and, I find at least, it makes you listen to it with that sense of a willingness to complete the 'journey' rather than adopt a CD/MP3 type track filter/skip attitude.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 31, 2012, 00:29
cassettes have kinda made an underground comeback
of which I am sure Lawrence can speak
the article is nice, but seems more like a piece
in search of a subject or reason
vinyl essentially is the the new slow food
for a media harried generation
but still accounts for only 1-2% of total yearly sales
with most new vinyl or vinyl reissues based
on a dynamically compressed cd master
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Dec 31, 2012, 18:22
Interesting, I am one of those who prefers to buy vinyl, but to view it as some kind of anti-capitalist act is pretty silly. It's a niche market, and you are paying a premium to have one of these collectors objects. I find it ironic that when cds came in, people were in a huge rush to replace their old lps. Now that LP reissues are making a huge comeback, people are now replacing their old cds with lps.

Not sure how it is in your part of the world, but here, the record store clientele are usually young males and few females, who would probably fall into the hipster category (a generation informed by Pitchfork). Or older music fans, again mostly male who would have been considered hippies at some point (a generation informed by Rolling Stone).

What I love about vinyl is that can sit down in my living room and put on records and just enjoy them (as long as my 5 year old isn't around to complain, though she does like Devo). I rarely listen to music on my computer, as I would rather listen to entire albums. I do listen to mp3s in my vehicle, purely for the convienience.

I would consider myself a collector first, and music fan second, and I'd say that most people who buy large amounts of music are the same. Yes, the music is wonderful, but there is little reason to own all these objects in order to enjoy music itself. It's a compulsion to collect, and it can be very obsessive. This obsession is what is feeding the vinyl resurgence, when people just "have to have" a new release, even if they own the thing 4 times over and will rarely listen to it. This is not an antidote to capitalism, it is capitalism. As the author of the article said:

"Indeed, if you're paying what some people earn in a week for a set of Beatles albums, you may have more to do with the problem than the solution."

That's pretty much it, although I don't see any of this as a problem. It's a marketplace, and you have different types of consumers, who have different spending priorities, and someone is going to be making money off of them.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2013, 18:35
Jan 01, 2013, 18:29
I am also a vinyl hound, but most of what I buy are USED vinyl, which sortof exists outside of the marketplace in a sense (local retailers make some coin, but not "the music industry" per se). Though of course there are also high priced collectibles (and the availability of used copies probably effects reissues etc.), so it really is a secondary competing marketplace. (In fact it does sometimes seem like a "drug market" -- I have a couple regular "vinyl connections" that aren't listed in the yellow pages!)

In terms of collectoritis, I've got a pretty serious case, but for me the best thing is finding some great album and paying less than $5 for it ($1 even better). Also if you dig deep enough, there are lots of records that have never been CD-reisued and probably never will be, so there is also the "un(re)discovered" factor (double plus good because the undiscovered gems are usually considered trash and therefore dirt cheap). In recent years my favorite bins are the "easy listening / pop vocalist" sections (not yet deemed trendy and hip by the internet generation).

I have started buying new vinyl again. Still trying to get used to the idea that $20 is a reasonable price for a single LP, but then again when I was paying $10 for new ones that was (ulp!) more than 20 years ago, so I guess with inflation that's probably about right.

I have hardly ever purchased a 21st century vinyl repressing (think I have an Anthony Braxton reissue on some French label which I bought used; and the reissue of Sonic Youth's first with a bonus live LP which I also bought used). I generally don't see the point (in fact a lot of the high profile reissued for $30 are records I already bought years ago for a fraction of the price so I already have them. The only album I've ever bought in more than one format is DSOTM -- the LP as a teen, and the 5.1 mix CD when I got the equipment to play 5.1, which I almost never listen to in fact. However I do own multiple LP's of some records that are iconic perseonal favorites -- if I see a used record I love in good shape for $1, I'll pick up an extra copy.)

Artefact-fetish is a major part of it. My xmas present to myself was "Bish Bosch" on vinyl ($33). I had already heard a promo CD, but it *IS* even better on vinyl (with the booklet and the starkness of the cover and the fat 180g LPs, it is easier to "get into" somehow). As a silver disc with no booklet (or folder full of mp3's) it doesn't "command attention" the way the compressed cartoon sounds of Lady Gaga and The Kids From Glee do. (If Scott was hoping to sell ringtones of tunes from his new record, I think he will be disappointed).

I want a bunch of recent Neil Young records on vinyl, but his stuff is always $40+ and that's just too much. I figure I'll find them used eventually!
Duplion
1 posts

Aug 22, 2017, 14:51
You may find Duplion (https://www.duplion.com/) helpful with any vinyl pressing questions you may have!
SeriousMF
3 posts

Aug 24, 2017, 23:12
I got a copy of Time Fades Away original pressing some years back. No idea why but it has stayed one of my favourite vinyl covers and recordings ever since.
The crowd depiction on the front almost drags you in before you even play.
Been few covers I have sat studying as the album played.
Most iconic for me was reggatta de Blanc on 10 inch double vinyl and Copelands Klark Kent stuff. There was/is still something magical about the sub standard size + with the KK stuff that whole vibrant green so akin to the tiny reel 2 reel spools of the 60s hipster sound it mimicked.

Lot of people mocked that album in its day and still do now.
Personally find it genius and likely better than a lot of the pap the band as a whole went on to produce.
Unsung Forum Index