Your favourite Mellotron performances

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aether
149 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2012, 20:40
Your favourite Mellotron performances
Aug 17, 2012, 20:37
Just wondering what people's favourite Mellotron performances are?
here are some of mine:

Popol Vuh - "Aguirre I" (from Aguirre, 1972[76']) (a choir-organ, but basically the same thing - possibly the best mellotron/choir-organ piece ever laid to tape!)

Amon Duul II - "Deutsch Nepal" (from Wolf City, 1972) (Jimmy Jackson's mastery of the choir-organ, makes for some Orff-ian blocks of vocal bombast that oscillate woozily across this Teutonic manifesto).

Chairmen of the Board - Earthquake Shake - Ending (from Cosmic Truth, 1973) - In between "Earthquake Shake" and "Down By the River" is THE most strangest piece of cosmic space-folk to have ever been heard on a Soul label like Gordy! Plangent and grainy string and flute mellotrons curl around each as if soundtracking a botany program about the various flora and fauna of Venus! Quite extroadinary!

Tarental - "Adonai" (from The Order of Things, 2001) - opening track "Adonai" starts to fizz and hiss as a Mellotron sounding keyboard starts to leak out of the track's musical crevices like potent gaseous ectoplasm. Spectral!

The Pretty Things - SF Sorrow is Born (from SF Sorrow, 1968), a brief but revelatory mellotron solo arrives in the middle of this track, rivalling The Stones' 2000 Light Years From Home with ease.

King Crimson - The Devil's Triangle, Hand of Scerion, Garden of Worm etc. (from In the Wake of Poseidon, 1970). Wagnerian Bombast courtesy of the 'tron. Pure 1970!

Rob Thomsett - Entrance to Warambool Part 1 (from Yaraandoo, 1975) Heavenly solo tron that transcends in the Aguirre way. See my HH review

Julian Cope - "Vuh" A beautiful trancey mandala of a tune.

Celeste - Celeste. Italtian prog rockers whose work is awash in 'tron.

Anglagard - "Vandringar i Vilsenhet" - Choral mellotrons that sound like a Dwarven army about to commence battle.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra LP - The 'trons emit ectoplasmic spectralia at its cosmic best.

Yes - "Heart of the Sunrise" (from Fragile, 1971) - Rather sinister and riddled with tension as the waves of 'tron buffet against Squire's bass line.

Aether

Np: Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes - Uganda
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Your favourite Mellotron performances
Aug 18, 2012, 13:49
Edgar Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 13:51
The original 1975 Epsilon , that is, not the later reissues for which I have no time or interest.
aether
149 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 14:23
Hi Annexus,

Whats the story with the pressings of Epsilon? Is there different mixes or tracks or something?

Mine is a vinyl black Brain label so I'm guessing its a second or third vinyl pressing.

Another good Froese offering is "Panorphelia" from Aqua (1974). I don't play my Froese solo stuff as often as I should, he's done some great stuff. I've got Aqua, Epsilon..., Macula Transfer, and Ages.

regards, Aether
NP: Vangelis - Earth (1973)
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 15:18
Julian Cope's "Vuh"?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 15:33
I'd second all of those apart from Yes (not my bag), and I'd also nominate Add N To X's magnificent, Amon Duul II-like "Revenge of the Black Regent" -which for me stands as the closest any British band has ever got to capturing the true essence of Krautrock.

Meanwhile, in the world of slightly more mainstream psychedelic pop, there's also the Bee Gees' "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You" and the Zombies' "Changes" (and Black Sabbath's "Changes" for that matter! - or does that actually have real strings on it? Hard to tell.)
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 16:07
Basically, the mellotron is absent in the cd reissue, perhaps deemed old-fashioned by Froese, to be replaced by digital instrumentation:

http://www.discogs.com/Edgar-Froese-Epsilon-In-Malaysian-Pale/release/585857

You're safe with your Brain vinyl, as it is one of the earlier editions. So far, we're stuck with the very early vinyl or the cd re-recordings of the early 90s, not forgetting this year's cd box set which I think faithfully sticks to the originals. I like the rest of the Froese albums you mention but to varying degrees.

Regards,
AQ
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Froese
Aug 18, 2012, 16:12
There's an excellent thread about the reissued material here:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/65358/threaded/829290/
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Mellotron
Aug 18, 2012, 16:16
You might also be interested in this enlightening thread too:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/61206/
aether
149 posts

Aug 18, 2012, 16:40
Yeah, "Vuh" - it was on one of those "Audience with the Cope"-type CD limited releases about ten years ago. Someone on here will be able to tell you which one exactly. I don't have it. But I remember the track - from memory, it was a blissed out mellotron piece (possibly with drums and other keyboards as well) and had Julian repeating the word Vuh quite a lot. Really lovely.
track.

Aether

PS: I wanted to add the mellotron work on Sergius Golowin's Lord Krishna Von Golocka (1972) as well.

NP: Blops - Blops (1973). Great South American psych-prog LP, with mucho flute'n'organ'n'acoustic guitar! Great thing about South American prog rock is - even into the mid-70s - it STILL came came served with great dollops of psychedelic flavouring!!!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index