Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Top ten worst ever rock ballads
Aug 07, 2012, 15:57
stray wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

ps Is "Hey Jude" a power ballad?

Ha fuck, I dunno, I'm still reeling in shock at Ian telling us all that Joy Divisions 'Love will tear us apart' is a rock ballad. He's right. But the realisation that it is has properly fucked up my model of the universe. For the better too I think. :)

It so is that Paul Young covered it!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2012, 16:19
Aug 07, 2012, 16:18
Oh, and anyone on this forum that's, say, over 35 and is still saying they're 'embarrased' about liking a particular record should be embarrased about being 'embarrased' about liking certain pop musics.

I mean, if you've got pictures of goats being buggered by dwarves on your 'puter, that's probably something to be embarrased about (at the very least!). But, liking pop musics... Surely one of the very few positives about getting old is the freedom, the exhilarating liberation, to say "I like (insert certain song of your choice here) and I don't give a fuck!"
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 16:33
I take KISS extremely seriously, especially the boots.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 16:35
Squid Tempest wrote:
I take KISS extremely seriously, especially the boots.

Well, you have to really, cos otherwise you'll break your ankles.

ps I found 20p outside my pod earlier.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 16:36
Moon Cat wrote:
things have also been a bit weird on the home front.

You mean you also have "normal" times? I always pictured your life to be a perpetual weird-out zone.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 16:38
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
things have also been a bit weird on the home front.

You mean you also have "normal" times? I always pictured your life to be a perpetual weird-out zone.

Heh! Well, it's more a close friend's personal situation has gone a bit mad (and not in a good way) and we're all a bit reeling and getting nervous everytime you get a text or something.

All is mostly 'normal' in the pod...relatively speaking.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 17:36
Only ten?

I should think you'd have to expand that list, in light of the vastness of the bad rock ballad universe.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2012, 18:47
Aug 07, 2012, 18:46
Moon Cat wrote:
goats being buggered by dwarves

Wasn't that by Merzbow?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 19:30
Moon Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
keith a wrote:

I don't think I minded Boston's More Than A Feeling's at the time but it was early days for this soft rock thing and we didn't know what we were letting ourselves on for! It's pretty rubbish when you hear it these days, isn't it.

I don't know why, but for some reason I have an inexplicable, lingering fondness for that record. Maybe it's because I was 5 when it came out, and at that age your tastes are purer in a sense because you don't have any concept of what's cool or uncool. Same goes for REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You" - It's a classic example of a genre I usually hate, but that vocal melody is just so darned catchy...!

Michael Head of Pale Foutains/Shack also loves that record (as do I!) and has said how he had to hide his love of it during the more Stalinist years of Punk. Shack even bunged THAT riff sneakily in a song on their last album.

I read somewhere that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was inspired by it too.
keith a
9565 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 20:02
I thought I liked it until I actually listened to it the other day!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index