Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2012, 21:43
Re: Top ten worst ever rock ballads
Aug 06, 2012, 15:16
keith a wrote:
Hold The Line - Toto. And I hate Rosanna even more, though I'll embarrass myself again and admit that for some reason I don't mind Africa!

Although I can't stand Toto in principal, I have this weird fondness for Africa and 99 that I can't even rationalize to myself, maybe it's just a nostalgia thing as I was probably about 10 when those songs were in heavy rotation. It's like I hear it and -BAM- it's 1979 and I'm riding in the back of my folks' old Peugeot wagon again.

I'll add Bridge Over Troubled Water and Peter Cetera's Glory of Love to the growing list.
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 15:32
IanB wrote:
Behind Blue Eyes

sacrilege! :)
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 15:51
I hate it too. ALways skip it. The version Ozzy did with his daughter a few years back was even worse.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 15:54
Rock ballads - one of the worst sub-genres out there. Some prime examples of utter shite include:

Extreme - More than Words
Mr Big - To be with you
Aerosmith - I don't want to miss a thing
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 16:10
Ha. I didn't think anything by Foreigner was really that bad, although I don't think any recording has really done Lou Gramm's voice justice, cos the one time I saw him live he was really really good...

Anyways I've got plenty of crummy rock ballads that I hate. Bob Seger for one -- ugh! Where to begin, "Night Moves"... How about Boston? Virtually everything they did were ballads anyways, they were formulated that way. And that guitar is still like needle-pricks to the brain. Peter Frampton as well -- "Do You Feel Like I Do" just goes on for too long, and "Show Me the Way" and "Love Your Way" might have been alright in the 70s but they're cheesy now. Can't think of anybody else -- oh yeah "Freebird", yuck-o! "Layla", not even Aleister Crowley could make that song less boring than it is now!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 16:24
Lawrence wrote:
"Layla", not even Aleister Crowley could make that song less boring than it is now!

You've just reminded me.
Altogether now! "It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear..."
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2012, 16:58
Aug 06, 2012, 16:39
Terrible, terrible sub-genre with little to redeem it, thanks for reminding me !

Carrying on with the cheese analogy, i kinda think of the rock ballad as a piece of manky tasteless mild cheddar you find at the back of the fridge, unwanted and eminently disposable.

And November Rain is definitely up there with the worst of them. And Purple Rain with its interminable outro ( thanks for the reminder Keith ).

That said, i hope Isn't It Time by The Babys doesn't get a mention.

Er, prefer an over-produced 80's power ballad myself ( preferably performed by an American female singer with unfeasibly big hair). Good cheese usually stinks and there's some prime gorgonzola to be had with that sub-genre.

I'll get me hairspray and shoulder pads...

Fuck, dunno if it counts but The Living Years has just leapt into my head, Wychers, i hate you !
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 16:46
Poodle-haired bollocks, hehe, i'm gonna have to remember that one

Succinct and says it all really
giallo
giallo
41 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 17:24
I don't know Sad Cafe, but the others are great! You never get in the mood to dig on some of this stuff?
machineryelf
3679 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 17:32
You forgot the 'we are serious young men with an acoustic guitar and a message'

New Model Army
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExynEdyfe9w

Spear of Destiny [with flute, no less, both meaningful and giving it that mysterios celtic air]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFxf2oMaDw

The Mission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqNUZPif8sg&feature=related

and who could forget this-All About Eve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JIe8Zlvr4
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index