Zappa 2012 reissues

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Zappa 2012 reissues
Aug 17, 2012, 09:41
One thing that's surprised me so far is the lack of reviews this campaign's getting in the monthly music rags. Thought they'd be all over this but I haven't seen one so far for the first batch & I thought they were the ones most likely to be. As in the 60s Mothers & Hot Rats seem to be the ones most revered by non-Zappa fans.

Odd that?
Stevo
toxic delerium1
1 posts

Aug 19, 2012, 12:39
for anyone living near Merseyside, Zappa plays Zappa are on at ( get this ) the floral pavilion. on the 19th November. tickets will go fast.
just dont buy mine lol.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 15:39
Have now heard Burnt Weeny Sandwich and it does sound pretty fine.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Zappa 2012 reissues - the tshirt
Aug 25, 2012, 15:09
http://www.play.com/Clothing/T-Shirts/4-/20498346/Frank-Zappa-Men-Freak-Out-T-Shirt/Product.html?searchstring=frank+zappa+&searchsource=0&searchtype=clothingall&urlrefer=search&strefer=clothingall&searchfilters=s%7bfrank+zappa+%7d%2bc%7b470%7d%2b
Mothers of Invention Freak Out! tshirt
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Zappa 2012 reissues - the tshirt
Aug 25, 2012, 15:28
2nd batch due Aug 28th US
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Aug 28, 2012, 21:33
Speculative assessment & comparison with existing issues at a glance regarding the new issues:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2012, 11:42
Re: Zappa 2012 reissues - 2nd batch delay?
Aug 31, 2012, 11:42
For some reason the 2nd batch, the 70s stuff has apparently been delayed for a month, at least in the UK.
Thought it was odd, trying to search for the new stuff on Amazon.co.uk & Play.com and not being able to find it. Kept getting things like the 2006 Over-nite Sensation coming up when I was expecting the forthcoming 2012 reissue. This being over the last week when the release date was supposed to be Tuesday 28th. when they could be found the word Import was in the description It actually got as far as the 28th coming round and the discs still only being listed as Import, the marketplace sellers did have things listed as in stock with prices listed.
Checking back yesterday and today the release date has been shifted back to 24th September & the links to marketplace are gone. I looked things up on Wow and they have titles listed as will be dispatched in 7-10 days.

What gives?
Stevo
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2012, 04:08
Sep 02, 2012, 04:06
Stevo wrote:
For some reason the 2nd batch, the 70s stuff has apparently been delayed for a month, at least in the UK.
Thought it was odd, trying to search for the new stuff on Amazon.co.uk & Play.com and not being able to find it. Kept getting things like the 2006 Over-nite Sensation coming up when I was expecting the forthcoming 2012 reissue. This being over the last week when the release date was supposed to be Tuesday 28th. when they could be found the word Import was in the description It actually got as far as the 28th coming round and the discs still only being listed as Import, the marketplace sellers did have things listed as in stock with prices listed.
Checking back yesterday and today the release date has been shifted back to 24th September & the links to marketplace are gone. I looked things up on Wow and they have titles listed as will be dispatched in 7-10 days.

What gives?
Stevo

Not sure. However there might be clues at the Barfko Swill page which is where you can buy the new versions direct from the Zappa family website.

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_57751

You can buy the whole catalogue lock stock and in batches geared to assumed proclivities of types of FZ fans according to diff period of his career - It looks like there is a discount and additional material will be available to what will be subscribers, this seems to me to be a good idea for those who can afford to layout and receive the issues as they come onstream. Form a club with your mates and divvy out the catalogue so at least you can get a discount. I thinks its good business as the cashflow will keep the shoestring cottage industry alive.
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 10:08
I think the batches of 12 could have been priced slightly better. Buying all 12 releases from one batch seperately comes to exactly the same price as buying the 12 as a job lot. The only benefit really is the free shipping and that's only if you are in the USA. I'd have liked to have seen the 12 done for maybe $150 to actually make it slightly more tempting.

David
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 11:08
U.S. editions are out already and have been talked about on other Zappa related lists. Where people have also discussed relative prices of buying all the releases from various sources/shops.

Amazon seems to have been cheaper than the barfko & there seem to have been places cheaper still. U.S. stores that have been selling at 2 for $18.
CD Wow was the cheapest place selling to Ireland for the first batch and the 2nd batch has been more expensive there. & is now saying that items will be dispatched in 7-10 days which is a long time for a supposed new release.

Since not all the discs have been remastered I wouldn't want all of them. Quite apart from only wanting to get certain lps anyway.

Stevo
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index