Zappa 2012 reissues

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Zappa 2012 reissues
Jul 29, 2012, 12:27
Anybody know much about the imminent Zappa reissues? I think the first batch are tomorrow.
I've read some blurb mentioning remasters and am wondering if , since this is a tie in with the Zappa estate, that might mean these have any of the interfered with material that Zappa did shortly before he died. Or if that has been devalued to the extent that it won't appear again?

Also is this likely to mean that some of the Straight label material rumoured to be due for reissue is about to come out? Lick my Decals Off Baby especially.
Stevo
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Re: Zappa 2012 reissues
Jul 29, 2012, 13:38
There's a big thread on them here. 12 to start with (early Mothers onwards) with more to come before the end of the year (60 in total, i think, with perhaps Mothermania getting a cd issue!). It's a big bloody thread, which i've only read about 4 pages of, but from what i can glean - there's no bonus material; they're using the same fucking version of Ruben, not the original mix; packaging ain't much different; they've been remastered - tho opinions seem to be that they don't sound amazingly different. As for which version of We're Only In It For The Money we're going to get, i'm not sure, but i get the feeling it might just be the same old one - i wish someone would put together a true mix including all the censored stuff.

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23356&start=825
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jul 29, 2012, 20:39
Best to go to GZ SEZ for her considered opinion on the FZ website.
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Jul 29, 2012, 21:12
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Best to go to GZ SEZ for her considered opinion on the FZ website.

She doesn't give a lot away in her answers. But do we really need yet another re-issue of the back catalogue. Surely three CD issues is getting silly expecially without anything extra to lure people in. I was quite enjoying the deluxe versions of Freak Out and Lumpy Money and was hoping things would continue in that vein.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2012, 05:23
Jul 30, 2012, 04:24
I think the Zappa family view is that the titles are maintained so anyone new to FZ can get hold of the titles easily. So some people need the supply tap on again albeit up graded as the opportunity arises. It is better for the Zappa's since the Ryko deal is finished and they have resumed ownership of the main catalogue. I can remember a time when any 1960's Mothers records had been deleted for about 15 years. Here is what GZ says on GZ Sez:

1-The Hot Rats CD has always been a 1987 re-mix, not the original 1969 mix. Is this new CD the `69 mix, or the `87 re-mix? I pefer either.

2-Is the packaging faithful to the LP’s?

3-Should I sell or junk my `95 Ryko CD’s, or keep `em as collector’s items?

Thanks!

Jess R. Hernandez

Thanks! 1. Technically none of the above – this is the 2008 Bernie Grundman Re-master – which mostly resembles the original 1969 mix. You will love it. 2. Absolutely. And even more faithful to the requirements established by the original Barking Pumpkin releases. 3. I would keep them for the moment – but you decide. None of the new releases are “sourced” from the Ryko releases and although many represent the digital masters mostly as you have come to understand them, many do not! Each package will identify the actual source so you will be able to plan your collection accordingly. We think everything sounds better but I am sure you will let us know.

Thanks for your email.

gz
“Music is the Best!”~fz
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Jul 30, 2012, 07:38
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I think the Zappa family view is that the titles are maintained so anyone new to FZ can get hold of the titles easily. So some people need the supply tap on again albeit up graded as the opportunity arises. It is better for the Zappa's since the Ryko deal is finished and they have resumed ownership of the main catalogue. I can remember a time when any 1960's Mothers records had been deleted for about 15 years. Here is what GZ says on GZ Sez:

1-The Hot Rats CD has always been a 1987 re-mix, not the original 1969 mix. Is this new CD the `69 mix, or the `87 re-mix? I pefer either.

2-Is the packaging faithful to the LP’s?

3-Should I sell or junk my `95 Ryko CD’s, or keep `em as collector’s items?

Thanks!

Jess R. Hernandez

Thanks! 1. Technically none of the above – this is the 2008 Bernie Grundman Re-master – which mostly resembles the original 1969 mix. You will love it. 2. Absolutely. And even more faithful to the requirements established by the original Barking Pumpkin releases. 3. I would keep them for the moment – but you decide. None of the new releases are “sourced” from the Ryko releases and although many represent the digital masters mostly as you have come to understand them, many do not! Each package will identify the actual source so you will be able to plan your collection accordingly. We think everything sounds better but I am sure you will let us know.

Thanks for your email.

gz
“Music is the Best!”~fz

That's a prime example of what I mean by she doesn't give a lot away. She doesn't say what mix it is... a 2008 remaster doesn't really help answer the question. A remaster is not a remix. There should be a detailed breakdown somewhere of what has been used for what release. You shouldn't just be told that you need to find out from the packaging.

I don't think there's a huge lack of Zappa availability out there it seems more finincially motivated to me than anything else.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jul 30, 2012, 15:57
I think stating their incentive as merely financial is rather harsh. I'm sure the relatively little money scraping in will be used to invest in other projects and maintain the FZ tape archive etc. Its only a few days now I'm sure some of the FZ watching websites (idiotbastardson should be suitable) will be overflowing with information and Zappa forum will be heaving with indignation etc.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 30, 2012, 16:05
Nobody rushed out and bought these then?
Would be interested in hearing what they're like.

There was an interesting thing on the sources somebody posted elsewhere
http://www.gandsmusic.com/ZappaCD1.htm
Shame there isn't another one for the next batch, I'm most interested in the Bitches Brew influenced stuff from '72 & '73 & Overnight Sensation possibly Apostrophe. Having got the old Rykos of the mid 60s Mothers stuff.

So i'm interested in overall sound. Has compression etc been kept to reasonable levels etc.

Stevo
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Jul 30, 2012, 17:25
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I think stating their incentive as merely financial is rather harsh. I'm sure the relatively little money scraping in will be used to invest in other projects and maintain the FZ tape archive etc. Its only a few days now I'm sure some of the FZ watching websites (idiotbastardson should be suitable) will be overflowing with information and Zappa forum will be heaving with indignation etc.

I hope there is more info forthcoming. Being directed to the actual product to look at and find the info is what makes me think there is "some" financial motivation in these reissues. If it was a case of getting his work out there more and noticed more then a slightly cheaper price would have been nice. After all there are no excessive studio costs for recording time involved it's all material that has been out before and has now in some shape or form been remastered and has some version or other of the material that we don't yet know.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Jul 30, 2012, 18:24
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=288444
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index