Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
"Destination Titan" What's This Music?

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aether
149 posts

Re: "Destination Titan" What's This Music?
Jun 15, 2012, 17:11
Cool. Glad you like it. Yeah, Pohjola's done a few LP's in the seventies/eighties - I only have one more (with Mike and Sally Oldfield on it)- it was released with a Swedish title and as The Mathematicians Air Display on Virgin in the UK around 77.

It was then re-released as The Consequence of Indecisions in 82-ish as a Mike oldfield LP!!! This is the copy you'll see most regularly, funnily enough, and is the one i have. But its not a patch on the 1st LP. I'm told his lP's tend to get rather bland and fusion-ey as they go on, but I haven't heard them all.

But yeah, I love that first LP, esp. the bass tone - which is so Tony Reeves-like. As a bassist, I really like Tony Reeves' work with Colloseum and Greenslade. You heard the live Greenslade CD? - one set from 73 (with Melange on it - yes!!) and one from 75.

Recently been listening to a few bassists that are quite unsung in their own ways I feel:- Tony Reeves, John Greaves of Henry Cow/National Health and Louis Cennamo(Colloseum/Steamhammer/ Armageddon) - all really melodic (in their individual ways), but with a power and real sense of propulsion. Greaves is a very interesting composer also - his LP Kew Rhone (with Lisa Herman and Peter Blegvad) is a strange little listen.

Do you play upright at all Ian? I've took to the upright of late and in the jazz-fusion sphere, there's a guy called Jamil Sulieman who just has an unbelievable fluidity to his playing and a very beefy tone. Check his playing on an LP called "OutertimeInnerspace" by Ahmad Jamal (Impulse, 1971/2)

regards, Aether
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index