Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2012, 09:10
"Destination Titan" What's This Music?
Jun 08, 2012, 08:46
Did anyone else watch this fantastic documentary on BBC4 and catch the music near the end when they were showing the photos of the surface of Titan taken by the probe?

It was an instrumental piece - elegaic choral synth pad with a chord pattern a bit like Spiritualized's "Shine A Light" and then a solo cor anglais synth sound or something comes in towards the end. I know the piece (and probably have it somewhere it was so familiar) but I can't place it and it has been driving me crazy so if you can help please put me out of my "misery".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0109ccd/Destination_Titan/

Music cue in question starts at around 55 mins 02 secs and runs to the end

Thanks!
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2012, 09:15
Re: "Destination Titan" What's This Music?
Jun 08, 2012, 09:13
Is it this geezer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFPdBUl7XQ
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2012, 12:05
Jun 08, 2012, 11:18
IanB wrote:

Thanks!

Brian Eno An ending (ascent) from Apollo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKw5mbcE7VY

It gets played a lot in documentaries, the NSPCC also used to use it in their ads. I reckon its one of the most licensed tunes, its definitely the Eno track thats been most licensed.

Aphex Twin did various ripoffs of this track a long time ago, with varying degrees of success.

Also Deepinder Arvo would never be quite that cheesy with minor chords. ;) What bugs me about this track is I swear Bach wrote it first. I'm not saying Eno ripped it from a Bach piece, anyone who writes music ends up writing something Bach already did eventually as he wrote so bloody much. I wish I could find/remember the Bach piece though.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2012, 12:29
Jun 08, 2012, 12:27
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

No but I think Part was an influence on whoever came up with this. I am just praying it isn't the intro to a Coldplay song that I am secretly in love with! I keep thinking a bass is go to start going dunga-dunga-dunga-dunga and it's going to turn into Where The Streets Have No Name!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2012, 12:49
Jun 08, 2012, 12:34
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:

Thanks!

Brian Eno An ending (ascent) from Apollo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKw5mbcE7VY

It gets played a lot in documentaries, the NSPCC also used to use it in their ads. I reckon its one of the most licensed tunes, its definitely the Eno track thats been most licensed.

Aphex Twin did various ripoffs of this track a long time ago, with varying degrees of success.

Also Deepinder Arvo would never be quite that cheesy with minor chords. ;) What bugs me about this track is I swear Bach wrote it first. I'm not saying Eno ripped it from a Bach piece, anyone who writes music ends up writing something Bach already did eventually as he wrote so bloody much. I wish I could find/remember the Bach piece though.

Thank you! Thank you! That's a real splinter out of the paw moment that.

You are right about Part and his minors though I thought it might be a Billy-Orbit-Plays-The-Classics thing i.e. a dumbed down synth arrangement of a real minimalist piece.

There is a lot of Eno that isn't strictly Eno (especially a Greenslade piece that I suspect he lifted the into from for Another Green World).

Anyway - I am pathetically grateful for that. Sainthood awaits you. Patron Saint of Rock Fans With Memory Loss perhaps.
aether
149 posts

Jun 08, 2012, 16:15
out of interest whats the greenslade piece Ian?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 08, 2012, 17:55
aether wrote:
out of interest whats the greenslade piece Ian?

Can't remember off the top of my head. It's something on Bedside Manners that for a bit sounds remarkably like the Eno piece that was the theme music for BBC's "Arena".
aether
149 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2012, 19:35
Jun 09, 2012, 19:35
ahh yeah, its the beginning of the title track - the bass notes are exacty the same phrase as the left hand piano of the eno/arena track

aether
np greenslade bedside manners are extra (unsurprisingly LOL!)

I love greenslade!! - some of the best mellotron playing of the early seventies on their LPs and proof positive that progressive rock's more extreme, oft-called 'excessive' aspects (virtuosity, instrumental dexterity, lengthy numbers) can be merged with great, sometimes funky, songs and wry, insightful lyrical content
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2012, 06:45
Jun 10, 2012, 06:44
aether wrote:
ahh yeah, its the beginning of the title track - the bass notes are exacty the same phrase as the left hand piano of the eno/arena track

aether
np greenslade bedside manners are extra (unsurprisingly LOL!)

I love greenslade!! - some of the best mellotron playing of the early seventies on their LPs and proof positive that progressive rock's more extreme, oft-called 'excessive' aspects (virtuosity, instrumental dexterity, lengthy numbers) can be merged with great, sometimes funky, songs and wry, insightful lyrical content

One of the first gigs I ever went to was Greenslade, Rare Bird and Bees Make Honey at the Roundhouse. I was 12 or 13 and loved the sound of the mellotron and Roger Dean's artwork so naturally I ending up having a couple of their records. It's Dave Lawson's singing and the occasional dips into over-cooked ELP territory that are a bit of a problem for me these days. Of that second tier of early-mid 70s prog bands I tend to lean more towards Gryphon and other largely instrumental bands of that era but the first three G/Slade albums all have their virtues that's for sure.

Are any of the solo records worth hearing?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 07:19
The first Greenslade solo LP is IIRC pretty much a continuation of Greenslade the band, the fact that all but one of my Greenslade LPs went in an early vinyl springclean pretty much sums them up, unless you really are a die hard prog freak you are missing nothing, I suspect they probably sold more for the Dean covers than the music inside
The one I kept was the Pentateuch of the Cosmogony again not for the music but for the big shiny book [by now even Greenslade must have cottoned on to the fact that the better/more pictures there were the more he sold] As for the music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrarJHkveoc
has a certain period charm
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index